Trusted Contributor

I am alone but not lonely. I have little family but they are are all healthy and happy. At least for today. That's all I can do is be thankful for each day. I know so many people who have it so much worse. It is snowy outside but I am in my warm apartment with food to eat. There are people living in my building with serious health issues and not enough money to take care of them or health problems no amount of money will fix. I wish life would get back to normal. I miss seeing people and doing thing I used to do but for today I am blessed. I am sorry people are feeling lonely or depressed. I have dealt with depression all my life. If you are feeling depressed and it is affecting your life please seek treatment or help. You are not alone. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's awful for those of us with a mate. I can't imagine your pain. We are here! Check in daily we will answer. ❤️🙏

Respected Contributor

Forgot to mention, volunteer work. I have two volunteer jobs. One is at a free medical clinic where I am a greeter, I assist patients to get signed in for their appointments, get their meds from our pharmacy, answer questions and chitchat with them. Our patients are mostly poor and struggling in some way. I try to remember their names, ask about their families. Sometimes a word or two in Spanish to our many Hispanic patients. 
I work a four hour shift, one day a week 

I also volunteer evening several hours a week at a hospice facility. There, I screen and unlock the door for visitors, assist them with signing in, show them to the patient's room if they are new. I answer the phone and the call lights. Often give a sympathetic listening ear to distraught families. My work helps the nurses, they can give patient care with fewer interruptions. 
Another job I do there, on Thursday mornings, is making phone calls to home hospice patients, to check that they have all supplies, meds, etc. necessary to get through the weekend. My volunteer manager gives me a list of folks. 

My point is, looking for opportunities in your community to help someone is almost a guarantee against loneliness. Big or small, there is something for you to do. 
I found my jobs through volunteermatch.com 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@BeccaLou    Rest assured there are many people out there as lonely as you.  Its a neck of a way to spend your senior years, isn't it?  A dirty trick if you ask me.

I've been sitting here isolated and alone for about 2 years with just the company of 2 dogs and a visit from the AC repairman.  All my friends have died or moved away and there's no opportunity to meet new people.  My closest relative is almost 2,000 miles away.  Thank goodness for the social contacts I have here on the boards with many great women and good friends.

Hang in there and when you're in the mood, come here or to a site of your choice and chat.

thank you for your friendship, kachina.....

Respected Contributor

I don't think it's awful. It's just different. I volunteer every week and have made friends there. 
We live in a 55 and over community, so there's plenty of opportunities to meet and engage in activities  if I choose. 

I'm more of a loner, so I don't crave a lot of interaction with people. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Getting Old Is Awful"

[ Edited ]

The last two years have been a challenge but my family and I will persevere.  We've observe the best protocols that we can, within reason. DH has a lot (many) doctor and dental issues and I frequently help with the driving (many are in Phoenix, 3 hrs each way).  We have gotten back into routine of going to local Apache casion once a week ( great protocols) and we even eat out very occasionally. We have't gone to movies but watch many new movies on streaming ( we have 3 services). I read a lot; most recently, Carl Bernstein's new book about his early years starting as 16.  He was a classmate and makes many references to people, places, events that are bringing back a flood of memories.  I am also beginning to contemplate a return to big trips, including cruising ( not this year but probably next).  I'm 78.

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart  My older cousin used to say that all the time.  Now I know what he meant.  

Esteemed Contributor

@BeccaLou 

@BeccaLou wrote:

Anyone out there as lonely as I am?. Very Lost.And the Pandemic  is making a lot worse.

I don't know how old you are, but I am 85, soon to be 86.

I'm lucky if I get one phone call a day. Son calls me once a week, but he also tex me. Other son never calls, I have to email him.  My best friend has Alzheimers, and the other friend has moved to another state. My neighbors are very young with families. I can't do any of my volunteer jobs anymore because of covid.

I have always been very independent and learned to be my own best friend.

I am happy to be alive at my age and in great health and grateful for everyday on this earth, such as it is.

I have taken up learning sign language. There is a neighbor who is deaf and when I walk my dog, we converse that way.

I have gardening, but the thing beside keeping up my home duties is exercise.

I would be lost without the computer.  I always was an outgoing person, very socialable.

You only have one life, please make the most of it and find something you can do at home that would help you. 

I really know it's hard, but please try and don't waste the life you have.  

Can you go out and walk. I meet people to talk with in walking my dog.  Of course having an animal helps, not everyone can.

We can't change some things now, but can find ways to cope and giving up is not one of them.

I wish I could help you, but right now, you have to be your own best friend.  Please think of something you can do to fill your days.  

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

No, getting old isn't awful. Only if you make it that way, It's all up to you! I took cobtrol of my life almost 2 years ago. I am 68, lost 70 lbs, walk, eat healthy and I feel GREAT!! My entire disposition has changed. I turned off the news, don't watch anything now. I know nothing about the virus, therefore I am not bothered by it. Life is normal for me. OP only you can take control of your own life...the time is NOW. Good luck. 

@ID2 I'm sorry but that is sort of insulting to a lot of people out there who are alone, who don't feel comfortable going places, who have relatives they are caring for, who are struggling to pay their bills and who have to be careful themselves to keep paying the bills for loved ones, and who have no possibility of being anywhere near "normal" now. 

My life controls me to a great extent.  There are realities I can't change and don't have options to change.  I simply don't have another option.   It's hard and options are few. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 

@ID2 wrote:

No, getting old isn't awful. Only if you make it that way, It's all up to you! I took cobtrol of my life almost 2 years ago. I am 68, lost 70 lbs, walk, eat healthy and I feel GREAT!! My entire disposition has changed. I turned off the news, don't watch anything now. I know nothing about the virus, therefore I am not bothered by it. Life is normal for me. OP only you can take control of your own life...the time is NOW. Good luck. 

Good, happy to hear what you are doing.  At 85, I'm still going strong and happy to be alive and well. I make the most of everyday.  Except that I can't volunteer anymore because of the virus. My volunteer work was leading tours and I loved it, but have learned to do other things that make me satisfied.

Life is short and you have to be your own best friend today.

I think it comes from being an indepentent person before the virus.  

I thank everyday of life.