Trusted Contributor

how to not be offended by family.....

When i was younger i did some things i am not proud of. Long story short, wound up pregnant and had to go on welfare. I moved back home, and wasn't sure what to do it was in eary 80's. 

I recently was given a piece of jewelry after passing of someone close. I let all people who were close know about it, and asked them if anyone had a problem with it. well.... just got a message from one of them, and they wanted to know if i plan on selling it, because they want it to stay in the family. Yes they are all well off, and successful. Yes my life has been harder, and i know i was always looked down upon. (Still am)  

My first thought is to pack it up and mail it to the person, I still think thats whats best. 

What would you do ?

Honored Contributor

Re: how to not be offended by family.....

I'd jump in my time machine and go back to before I told everybody about it.

But, seriously, at this point just do what seems right to you.   

One thought I had was that if you are planning to sell it, offer firsties to that person.  If you plan to keep it and it is meaningful to you, you should be able to keep it.

If you think this is going to be a rift that never ends and you would feel better about just sending it to her, then so be it.

Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

One thought I had was that if you are planning to sell it, offer firsties to that person.  If you plan to keep it and it is meaningful to you, you should be able to keep it.

If you think this is going to be a rift that never ends and you would feel better about just sending it to her, then so be it.

Smiley Happy

I was being honest with all so they knew what was going on. Never thoght of selling it, not worth that much, just offended.

Valued Contributor

@dogsx3You and only you know how you feel about it. You need to do what is right for you.

If the person gave you the jewelry to use to better your situation, sell it and pay no mind to others.  Or find out it's value and offer it to them for the $$.

However, you have to sleep with yourself with a clean conscience.  Keep it, as the person intended.   Wear it with pride or sell it.  Please make the best decision for just you. That will be the right one. IMHO of course.

Best wishes.

Trusted Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Smiley Happy

I was being honest with all so they knew what was going on. Never thoght of selling it, not worth that much, just offended.

I want a time machine !!! Oh the things i would change !!

Trusted Contributor

Don't send it to the person.  You were given this gift and hopefully it was someone you were close to and you will enjoy the jewelry.  You deserved this gift, and I hope that it is something that you will wear or at least look at fondly.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Trusted Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

I wouldn't have told them I had received it...and I wouldn't have cared if they had a problem with it. I'd keep it and I wouldn't sell it either.

Why did you feel you had to tell them and ask if they had a problem with it?

Anyway, if you gave it to someone else, the others would be upset that they didn't get it.

I definitely think you'd regret it if you gave it away to someone else. It was given to you...keep it and don't worry about what they think.

Because it was my mom's and i know they would be wondering what happened to it. a wedding ring.

Honored Contributor

Someone wanted you to have that jewelry. Stop beating yourself up about the past and accept this gift. 🌺🌷🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

i am really trying hard,  i think i am the only one who got the " sensitive chip" in my family. I really don't want to go to funeral service.