Trusted Contributor

Hi!

I checked on the velour zip jacket (Susan Lucci), and it was sold out in my size! At first, I bought the next-up size that was on waitlist, but I canceled it this morning. I'll keep checking to see if my size pops in. If it doesn't, I can live without it. The "wish list" is different here than on HSN; at least HSN gives you an "alert" that quantities are low or the price has come down, but not here (ugh).

Speaking of prices, here's a Scanpan update (copied from earlier Agnes post):

SCANPAN TechnIQ Nonstick Fry Pan Set, 8" & 10" (the latest) at Williams & Sonoma for $130.

AF10E95A-2918-4946-B9B2-333F0080EB9C.jpeg

I bought this set very recently at Williams Sonoma (online) for $129 and free shipping. (It will be here tomorrow - I'm excited.) The next morning, I checked the W&S site, and it had gone down in price $10! So I called, and they cheerfully gave me a credit. Now I'm checking the price daily. You just never know -- pays to check!

Agnes, you were born in 1973 ... oh my goodness! You are so young! Your mom and aunts ... especially that one aunt ... very cool! Yes, that's how I dressed, too, hair included, except no cropped tops for me -- and there wasn't any fringe on my boots! (I was turned down a notch - more prim and proper, ha.) Very amusing and sweet how her life turned out.

Yes, it was a very interesting time, but I thought the mid- to late-60s was a depressing time; at least, that's how I felt during it. Widespread distrust of anyone "over 30" as well as the "establishment," Vietnam War, demonstrations, so many changes -- a tumultuous and emotionally disturbing time. 

Sticking out in my memory: There were no regular lightbulbs in anyone's apartment! The bulbs were red or orange. Everything was dim, and the Beatles (or another "British Invasion" band) always played in the background on an elaborate stereo system.

Heart

Edited to Add: Rowan, the lobster salad recipe -- YUM -- a classic -- so simple and so delicious. Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

@snappyfrappy 

Please check in if you have a minute. Thinking about you. Heart

Trusted Contributor

616C9376-4E65-4AB0-993E-6A58E38965B3.jpeg

Yep... I hope everyone's week is going better than ours. Clearly Mercury is still in retrograde. Logan, who is tall enough to accomplish this chore with no ladders was called away again on the mission project in Cape Canaveral. Tall, to the ceiling cabinets in our kitchen needed a good cleaning - including my Polish pottery showcase in the dining room. Much of this stuff was passed down to me from relatives and so I treasure it. Other pieces I purchased here which didn’t come cheap. Was cleaning each piece as I went from shelf to shelf on the ladder. Hit my head on the sharp edge of the top shelf and split my scalp open. Right on the crown of my head. Saw stars, dropped a serving plate (my great-grandmother's! 😢) which shattered, and I may have lost my religion in that moment.

My daughter, Mia heard the commotion and came running through on the hardwood floors wearing fuzzy socks. Slid into a dining chair which knocked my ladder over and onto her. Luckily, she escaped badly bruised with a long scrape along her arm only. I had to have 9 stitches on my scalp, and when I fell, I dislocated my left shoulder. They had to drain all of the fluids from it before popping it back into place. That hurts in the sling and soft cast, but my head feels like this: 

D1B5E978-C4D6-44DE-B341-24A287F4AF3E.jpeg

Just that size! True enough, the swelling is pointy under the ice pack and they had to shave off some of my hair to stitch it up. Some of you, (Selah and Marcia) have always teased that I'm an alien. 👽 Now Anu-Nanu is an official Cone Head! 

The pain pills helped until they made me puke, so I'm getting by on Advil, and a prayer that this all heals in time to begin work on schedule. I already have received two case files to prepare for. 

In other news... Marian and her boys failed to find a suitable small dog that is kids-friendly at the local shelter. We're all trying online now to locate one at a distance. Other than my MIL, who wants to buy the boys a puppy of choice. Either way, they should have another furry pal very soon. 

Agnes, the Temptress sent us a group msg with this pic: 

6289491F-973A-4199-875C-24EDC507D48E.jpeg

... and a link to Peruvian Connection dot com that she found here in Fashion. Maybe it's the blow to my pointy head, but I want almost everything I see there. 

Has anyone here ever shopped there? MsLomo? Issy? Marcia? Wondering if the quality justifies the prices, and the bother of hand washing or dry cleaning. 

A few things I ❤️ there: 

CAFB0D29-5872-4474-8FAB-4D35B49C5E31.jpeg

2E3A4125-0A51-44ED-8BD6-5763122D5265.jpeg

C0B8A7F3-5945-471A-A270-0123DAFFB388.jpeg

6A3C61AD-8F45-45DC-B534-60C1B67AC5C0.jpeg

8A390F34-A2F8-405E-A347-AF05FC3FE8B5.jpeg

Not to be tempting y'all. 😈 A lot of cool artisan jewelry there, too.

MsLomo, you scored on those skillets! I didn’t do better than that with Amazon Prime. It sure does pay to keep a check on the fluctuation of prices. I'm still looking for a better deal on the large, rectangular Scanpan - not the griddle, but the one with swooped edges. Great for grilled cheeses, or making one large omelet that can be cut in half to serve two at a time. Saw it at Marcia's when we were all there and Mike made us his Western Omlets. OMG. Now I want one of those, too. I hope I haven’t damaged the “craving” control center of my brain. 

Mom was telling me that I need to eat more beets. I loathe them. She sent me a salad recipe that I'll try to try. I'll share it here, since I know some of you like beets - even raise your own. They are supposed to be very healthy. 

BRB.

Trusted Contributor

Beetroot, Peach & Walnut Salad

93D58BD9-1A0D-43B1-BC6F-B3D40125C30D.jpeg

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbs red wine vinegar
1 tbs wholegrain mustard
2 tsp caster sugar
1 bunch small beetroot, ends trimmed
2 yellow or white peaches, stoned, cut into wedges
1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
Spinach & mixed greens of choice
1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup goat’s cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped

Place the oil, vinegar, mustard and sugar in a screw-top jar and shake until well combined. Season.

Use a vegetable peeler or mandolin to thinly slice the beetroot. Place in a large bowl with the peaches, radishes, greeens and strawberries.

Drizzle with the dressing and gently toss to combine. Divide among serving plates. Sprinkle with goat’s cheese and walnuts.

Trusted Contributor

For @Issy379

245966FA-5DA2-4E56-8435-1D5550E36BDE.jpeg

May your dear friend, Joan enjoy peace and joy everlasting - free from all pain and sorrows - in the presence of our Lord. 

Prayers for her family, you and all who will miss her. 

Hugs, 

Anu 

Trusted Contributor

A big HELLO to you, @MsLomo! Sooo very good to see you, too. I miss our chats and resent how certain krap eats up so much time lately. Unnecessary stuff regarding BG's mom. This phase is over, as the judge wisely threw her case to the wind. Resentment toward her mother, with no true regard for her daughter. Someone here (Agnes?) was speaking of the importance of the emotional IQ. Yeah. . . sorely lacking. We all prepared for court, lost time from work, etc. needlessly and we can only hope this young woman learns from this. Doesn’t rebel further and try something risky, as is of her nature. It would be a bit more understandable if she wanted her child, but that's not the case. As much as we would love to adopt her; this cruelty and public malicious slander against her grandmother who adores her is just so wrong. The good news is, all remains the same for now, and BG and Tyler are doing just fine. Innocence really is a kind of bliss. 

I see you are shopping—finding great deals! 👍🏻 Enjoy your new pans. You'll find you need very little oil with these and they can go safely from the stove top to the oven. If they can withstand my abuse; they should last a culinary pro like you a lifetime! I see some great recipes here. . . Copying them to my notepad as I go. Gram loves that 3-in-1 slowcooker so much, that I ordered her one and shipped it to my uncle's back in IRE. He'll bring it to her when we take her home. A little Thank You gift for all her help during this visit. Tyler can say G'am now! Rs come hard yet. He's not freely walking—still moving along the furniture and anything else he can pull up on. Crawls fast—needs knee pads! 🤠 Mike is looking for a pair of cowboy chaps to fit him. 

I'm constantly thinking of and praying for you and your husband. I thank God for leading you carefully through this hard transition. You have always been discerning and brave enough to carry through with whatever needs to be done toward the best for your family. You'll not neglect yourself during his struggles, though that would be so easy to do. I take comfort in this, on your behalf. You possess a natural propensity to adapt to change, while also deeply cherishing what was. A healthy balance that is enviable. What an example you demonstrate to your son, and all fortunate enough to know and love you. Accepting our vulnerabilities honestly is a strength—a virtue—that many cower from. Like throwing a veil over the mirror of introspection. No true insight. You don't have that stumbling block nor impaired sapience. 

I love you and I thank you for being a genuine friend. Not only to me, but to all here! 

2830862C-D89C-4876-A268-61FD291C6DB2.jpeg

—Marcia 

Trusted Contributor

@snappyfrappy, we pray for God's tender mercy, while we await news on Shirley, her caregiver daughter, her special needs son and your dear, dear self. 

23738CCF-1093-4A29-868F-40DD5F29FBA9.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@LurkyLoo, thank you for alerting me to L's msg. Received and responded to. I know she would appreciate your prayers. 💙 

Your neighbor's comment to the Occupational Therapist tickled me! Are you going to see him yourself? Maybe once at least to enjoy the view? 😍 We won't tell Reuben! 

No, it's not our imagination. Tyler absolutely does resemble Mike at this age. My MIL brought out the baby pics to compare. Uncanny! I asked him if he was sure he didn’t have some 'splaining to do. 😉

He said, “what's to tell? That's my boy—that's all there is to that!” 

9948C582-B41E-4633-90F7-E9071252F2CC.jpeg

Enjoy the wedding!! Soon now. Every blessing to the happy couple. 💗💗

@agnesann, gimme dat pork chop! Those look and sound delish! 

I'm so glad to hear the reoccurring, vivid nightmares haven't returned. You gained some control over the subconscious narrative. Lucid dreaming can be quite revealing about one's self to those in therapy—we see that more. Where the dreamer is actually aware that they're dreaming at the time. Those interested might like to research that. 👆🏻

It's only human to have concern for Jacob's future. The reality is, that despite the high percentage of autism rates, there remains limited resources. Especially for adult sufferers. This must change. I see, though, tremendous progress in Jacob each time we visit. The life changes you've made and your persistent dedication to his development are paying off BIG TIME. I have faith that he'll find his niche and prosper—become self-sustaining—as well as content in life. ITA about Gracie. God’s mysterious ways. . . 

Thank you for praying over and explaining about Ron's (in the prisoners release program) difficulties with some on the ranch. You'd be proud of his devotion and courage, as well as his resolve. He could have left, as other job opportunities are available, but he is sticking it out. 

Thanks for keeping our prayer list going with the updates. Good, continued healing to Darrell and safety on the job. 🙏🏻

Trusted Contributor

@Issy379, I have missed you, too, and now. . . I'm very sorry to hear you've suffered another loss. Even though you had some time to try to prepare, there really is no such thing. A lifelong friend like Joan will leave such a void.

Heartfelt prayers for her family, including the wonderful and protective dog (if he or she is yet among the living). They grieve as surely as we do. 

42C496E3-9774-4D4C-A0C8-59926F524A1B.jpeg

Much love to you,

—Marcia 

Trusted Contributor

@Rowan72, thanks for checking in while so busy. WOW, you all really have been! Yes, the Back to School sales are everywhere here, while the kids—families—are still trying to relish a break and time together. 

I see Selah and Luke seized the day—good for them! Being so close, they may as well pop over here for a visit, too. 

AE2CD4C1-6274-4FDA-AC23-5FCB6C658621.jpeg

We do have nice windshield views! 🤘🏻 

We've been working with others involved in extending foster care from age 18 to 21, as many other states have, and are seeing the pay-offs and lasting benefits. 

244595E5-4F68-4736-B09E-6BE489D80DBF.png

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/extending-foster-care-to-18.aspx

Your state among them, though I don’t know if this applies to reservations. Those are a whole other ball of wax here due to tribal laws. Too many young adults are aging out of the system before they can get their footing. Ending up on the streets, or in prison. They certainly deserve the same opportunities afforded to any other, though convincing the PTB and many of their constituents is  much harder than it should be. Reasonably. 

Have you read Jimmy Wayne's book: “Walk to Beautiful”? A New York Times best seller. I know you will appreciate it, and his efforts on behalf of the many like himself. You may want to share it with your ministry. 

If you can send me the names of the children who tragically lost both parents in a waking nightmare, I'd love to pray for them. Also any info on a GoFundMe page or like support resource. God be with them. 

Your family's service is golden, as are you. 💛