Trusted Contributor

I remember having them and I think they were plastic.  You could make them any length ... bracelet or necklace.

pop beads.jpg

Super Contributor

Re: do you remember pop beads?

Oh yeah, I remember when they were all the rage!  Another thing from a lifetime ago was going steady with a boy and wrapping yards and yards of yarn around his class ring so it fit my finger.  My friends and I spent hours at the "five and dime" selecting colors of yarn to go with every outfit!   Finally went with putting the ring on a chain.  Woman Very Happy

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

They were the coolest thing. We could make our own jewelry designed to the length and the colors that we wanted. Thank you for bringing back the memory.

Honored Contributor

Zulily is selling them right now in different shapes, colors, and sizes, for ages 4 yrs and up.

There is a warning not for kids under 3.  

Honored Contributor

@newname0 I remember the plastic ones from my youth, but I never had any.  Just yesterday I wore a necklace of magnetic stainless steel "pop beads."  

Valued Contributor

Oh my gosh -- yes I do remember the pop beads. I had them in a white/cream color and thought they were the coolest thing!  Thanks for bringing back the memory!

Esteemed Contributor

AND my older sister had better colors!!  Really must bring that one up again 👩‍❤️‍👩

Respected Contributor

Great memory.

Esteemed Contributor

@caroln242 

They did that in my school too (although I NEVER got anyone's ring).

I cannot remember now where the girls got the yarn.  It was best if it was mohair or something very fuzzy so it will really puff up around the ring....SIGH...I so envied them.

You HAD to have yarn that matched or coordinated with your sweater or dress.  We were not allowed to wear slacks or jeans.  I don't even remember seeing jeans until I was out of high school!

I've asked others about this practice, and they didn't know about it...I grew up in a tiny town (2,000) in Southern Illinois, so I'm wondering if it was regional.

We also used to tie our long hair back with colored yarn.  Simply cannot remember how we found that yarn.  Maybe the 5 & 10?

Such a fun memory...thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

@newname0 

Loved Pop Beads...wondering now what happened to all of them when we stopped wearing them.

Somewhere, there is a mountain of Pop Beads!