Honored Contributor

Had a wrong way driver event happen to me earlier this evening.  There's a little island dividing the roads and even a sign telling you to stay right of the island.  Took forever for to back up and get on the right side of the island.  Seemed a bit early for drunk driving at 5:45 pm.  Nothing like seeing headlights coming right at you head-on.

Esteemed Contributor

This literally happens a couple times a month on I 17 (Flagstaff to Phoenix).  Usually at night (substance abuse) there are signs posted etc.  Amazing!!! 

Trusted Contributor

It's getting near the holidays and ppl who come out on the roads once a yr are out there. Be careful for them!

Trusted Contributor
@Icegoddess

Thank goodness you're alright. You hear about horrible accidents with people going the wrong way.
The other type of accident you hear about is people going into storefronts. That's usually an elderly person who gets the pedals mixed up.
And then of course there's texting. Don't even get me started on that one. Scary!
Esteemed Contributor

Glad you're ok.

That happened to DH & myself a couple of years ago. Some idiot was speeding down a very narrow street in the wrong direction.He almost hit us head on.

Luckily, DH reacted swiftly & swerved.Or we would have been killed!!

Esteemed Contributor

Today DH and I were driving the main route in our small town and the car ahead of us was driving erratically (in a 45 mph zone).  When we pulled next to her (she was still moving on highway) the driver was applying mascara!  I can't even do that as a passenger in a moving vehicle!

Trusted Contributor

What a heart-stopping, drawers-wetting experience that must be!  Interestingly, our Las Vegas District Attorney gave a news conference today to announce a crackdown on impaired drivers and promptly charged two recent fatal accident offenders with second degree murder.  I support that.  

Cabs are cheap.  Killing innocent people while impaired is wrong--and VERY expensive.

Honored Contributor

I have no idea if she was impaired or not.  Neither one of us was going very fast; the speed limit in that area is 35.  It's also an area full of business that are not retail businesses, a lot of Aerospace and Research companies.  But, it is a way to get home from a shopping complex with eating establishments.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wrong Way Driver

[ Edited ]

It's not just drivers who are drunk that drive on the wrong side of the road, sometimes the sun is in the driver's eyes, and they can't see the sign indicating that it's a one-way, or which direction the traffic goes.

A person could be unfamiliar with the area, or the driver could be distracted by talking to a passenger, or they could be lost in thought.

Heck, I've accidentally turned down the wrong way on a one-way street.

I thought that it was a two-way, only oops, I was wrong.

I have had my share of wrong way drivers, too, at all hours of the day and night.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I am glad you are alright.

What a frightful experience.

We had that happen to us on I 95. We were coming home from a Phillies game. And there was someone coming right toward us in our lane. Thank goodness my husband was able to get out of the lane, Not an easy feat on 95. And the guy just kept on driving the wrong way, going southbound in northbound lane.