Super Contributor

Your Mom is a wise woman and taught you well.  I also clean "dirty" money but I'm a clean freak. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I will pick up a penny whenever I see it and know my mom is thinking about me. We used to joke about it a long time ago as an affirmation from heaven.

Esteemed Contributor

@LuvMyBichonFrise wrote:

Your Mom is a wise woman and taught you well.  I also clean "dirty" money but I'm a clean freak. Smiley Happy

How do you clean dirty money--it grosses me out......never know where that money has been!!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't find it odd at all.  It's money -- why would anyone throw it out?

Respected Contributor

Look at your pennies.  You never know when you'll come across something rare, old, or a botched penny, which can be worth a lot of $$$.  I knew a coin collector years ago and learned a tiny bit about this.  I put my pennies away and one day will examine them when I get the time and motivation.  They're probably just worth a penny, but you never know.

Honored Contributor

why not

take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves

Super Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@LuvMyBichonFrise wrote:

How do you clean dirty money--it grosses me out......never know where that money has been!!

Well, then, you best not handle any of it.

Honored Contributor

Thank-you for all the replies! Guess most of us are on the same page!

i wonder  if you gave this question to say Bill Gates or another Billionare.....if He would wash the pennies? I would like to know!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I've foundy gummy coins around the house and washed them in dish soap. I don't find it odd at all.  Not throwing away money.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Would you do this?

[ Edited ]

I would never throw money away. And I will pick up a coin unless it is really in a messy spot like an oil slick. I feel this way because our family experienced some tough times and throwing money away would be like a slap in my mother's face. One evening mom ran out of most everything to make dinner and had no money. She was usually fairly stoic, but this evening she was beside herself. She told my little brother to go outside to play so he did not see her distress as she tried to solve her dilemma. All of a sudden he ran back in waving a $5 bill he found in the yard. Mom sent him to the corner store for bread, milk, and hamburger. There are some things that cannot be explained, and I value those pennies in honor all those who struggle to care for families. (My mother entered her senior years with a home paid for and money in the bank, so her work ethic and perseverance saw her through a lot of trials. She is respected by all her children.) I have tried to pass those values to my children, and have seen them pick up a few pennies over the years!