Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I was cleaning up a desk this morning and came across a container with five pennies in it.   They were sticky, something had gotten on them. Stuck together....gross....

My first thought was to toss them out.... and move on to the next cleaning project.......but, a lesson my mother taught me as a little girl about respecting money made me do otherwise..( As a little girl, I  threw a penny away that I picked up off of the ground, and I was scolded big time for doing that).

Instead of tossing the pennies out, I cleaned and dried them off and put them in my coin purse. 

I wondered  how many people would find that odd and a bit neurotic the act of washing 5 pennies.....what do you think?  My feelings will not be hurt if you want to find it a bit odd Smiley Happy

Do this 20 times and you will have saved a dollar; do it 200 and you will have saved $10.  So how many times would you have had to do this for the last thing you bought that you didn't need?  

I count myself among any who might ask themselves this question and wonder why. . . LOL!!

Respected Contributor

Not me! I brave traffic for one penny, as long as it's heads up!😉

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I have learned something.  I had no idea people were superstitious about pennies or ascribed any meaning to them other than their monetary worth. I knew some were worth a lot if they were rare coins, but I'd say chances there are worse than the lottery.

Contributor

I don't think it's odd. Smiley Happy I'd wash them off and add them to the change jar! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you do this?

[ Edited ]

I find pennies a PIT* generally. I never keep more than 3-4 anywhere, the rest go in the trash.

But I can certainly see what the OP did as an act of sentiment and memories and that I totally get. There doesn't have to be need or logic involved.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all