Honored Contributor

Re: Work (tote) bag organization

[ Edited ]

@seaswirl Check out the bags at Levenger, which focuses on work bags. I particularly like the Bloomsbury Bookbag (heavy canvas) or St. Tropez tote (leather)... lots of pockets for organization, nice colors. 

Bloomsbury Bookbag, Purple

St. Tropez Leather Tote Bag and Pouch, GB

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I carried a briefcase rather than a tote. Lots of compartments and space, including a padded space for my laptop. It had a strap on the back that I could loop over the handle of my rollerboard bag as well as a shoulder strap. I tucked my wallet, a small cosmetic bag and a couple of packets of tissues in and I was ready to go. 

Yes, I carried a briefcase too, not a tote.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I carry a fabric tote, very light and I have a light binder inside to put paperwork in and I also have a zippered pencil pouch that I keep pens, highlighters, markers, aspirin, band-aids. I figured if I got something with more organization I would carry or put more in it. This way it's simple, light and always have what I need. The tote has a pocket in front where I keep my lipstick, keys and phone. 

Honored Contributor

I have a summer tote with a smaller bag in it and a fall and winter tote with a smaller bag in it. Sunglasses, makeup bag and incidentals in the tote, credit cards, ID, cash and phone go in the smaller   bag which I carry into the store.

Trusted Contributor

@seaswirl wrote:

For those of you who carry a daily work/tote bag, how do you organize it?  Mine seems to be a black hole.  Any tips?

@seaswirlI don't work but when we travel I carry a large tote and a crossbody inside.

Respected Contributor

@Irish1210  A messenger bag (not the purse type) might be a better answer than a tote. They are sectioned & padded for an ipad or laptop, and are compartmentalized for other items. They also have a shoulder strap. I bought a leather Fossil one for my child and it has worked out well.

Honored Contributor

Slightly off topic:   As far as beach bags or large casual totes (not work related):   Many years ago, I saw a tip regarding organization.  Place one of those long lightweight plastic dishwasher trays that hold utensils such as forks, spoons, etc.  into the bottom of a large tote/beach bag, etc.  It keeps necessities such as water bottles, cosmetics, lotions, and whatever else   in place so that they don't end up in one big mess at the bottom of the tote.  It really works (for me, anyway).   Check out thrift shops or Amazon for those replacement long utensil dishwasher trays.   Just a thought, of course.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

the tote sounds like my purse. I put items in the purse and within a couple minutes everything is lost. I swear my purse eats these items