Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,985
Registered: ‎02-16-2019

 


@Black Cat Back wrote:

There are a lot of closed door meetings today is all I can see.  And it does affect me.  Me and a few others have to do her work when she's out.  This has happened continuously in the last 2 years with lengthy absences.  When my husband died, I was out for bereavement for the 5 days we get.  I don't have the luxury of someone backing me up.

 

It's not easy when someone doesn't have a good attendance record and work is put on others who do.   I wish her the best, but people cry wolf one too many times and you begin to doubt them.   Stopping at a fast food restaurant before going to the ER if you are needing immediate attention doesn't compute.   I worked in a hospital for years, there is a cafeteria where you can get food or someone can bring it to you if you are that famished.

 

 

 

 

 


 

When I worked I got a generous sick leave/vacation time benefits.  I had a coworker that used her sick leave and vacation time as soon as she got it.  She had no children and when she was almost ready to retire she got a disease that caused her to retire a bit early.  She begged everyone to donate time to her, we all did not!  I had children she did not and I managed to retire with 1700 hours of sick leave.  I rolled that into a 401 K so I would have been giving her money. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,640
Registered: ‎12-01-2023

Re: Work Related Question

[ Edited ]

@spumoni99 

 

I'm so glad you got to do that with our sick time.💝

My dad retired with years of sick days accumulated too.  It was funny because he wouldn't have had to went to work for nearly 2 years if he didn't want.  He never missed either.😃🌸

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,985
Registered: ‎02-16-2019

@cheriere wrote:

@spumoni99 

 

I'm so glad you got to do that with our sick time.💝

My dad retired with years of sick days accumulated too.  It was funny because he wouldn't have had to went to work for nearly 2 years if he didn't want.  He never missed either.😃🌸


I worked for the state for 37 years, the last 3 were at home because of covid.  I enjoyed the work it was challenging and interesting but I am happy to be retired now.  I worked with mainframe computers.

Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎10-31-2022

There's always one in every office who gets away with murder.  You can say MYOB all you want however when this person goes MIA, or pulls all kinds of nonsense it makes for a very bad work environment.  This type of person knows all the ins and outs of getting away with their schemes.  It has to be a nightmare for a supervisor when they have to tip toe around certain employees!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,768
Registered: ‎06-20-2015
@sheetsheba.. I just got done working w/a coworker like that. She became so despicable with all she got away with. She picked everyone and every thing clean. Smh.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,640
Registered: ‎12-01-2023

@spumoni99 wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@spumoni99 

 

I'm so glad you got to do that with our sick time.💝

My dad retired with years of sick days accumulated too.  It was funny because he wouldn't have had to went to work for nearly 2 years if he didn't want.  He never missed either.😃🌸


I worked for the state for 37 years, the last 3 were at home because of covid.  I enjoyed the work it was challenging and interesting but I am happy to be retired now.  I worked with mainframe computers.


 

Wow! 37 years is quite the accomplishment! 😃🌸

You must be really smart!  To me working on mainframe computers sounds like a tough job.  I have no aptitude for such intricate work as required for working with computers like that.  I wish I did so badly.

Now, I know who to ask if I'm having trouble with something lol.  😃

Im just kidding.  I wouldn't bother you like that, but is nice to know that you're here.

I was a teacher and had a business for years, but I had to take early retirement whenever I became ill.  There's so much I miss.


I really appreciate your telling me a bit about yourself.  It's nice to know who you're chatting with.  You were one of my first friends here. 😊💝🌸

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,361
Registered: ‎07-18-2010

@spumoni99 wrote:

 


@Black Cat Back wrote:

There are a lot of closed door meetings today is all I can see.  And it does affect me.  Me and a few others have to do her work when she's out.  This has happened continuously in the last 2 years with lengthy absences.  When my husband died, I was out for bereavement for the 5 days we get.  I don't have the luxury of someone backing me up.

 

It's not easy when someone doesn't have a good attendance record and work is put on others who do.   I wish her the best, but people cry wolf one too many times and you begin to doubt them.   Stopping at a fast food restaurant before going to the ER if you are needing immediate attention doesn't compute.   I worked in a hospital for years, there is a cafeteria where you can get food or someone can bring it to you if you are that famished.

 

 

 

 

 


 

When I worked I got a generous sick leave/vacation time benefits.  I had a coworker that used her sick leave and vacation time as soon as she got it.  She had no children and when she was almost ready to retire she got a disease that caused her to retire a bit early.  She begged everyone to donate time to her, we all did not!  I had children she did not and I managed to retire with 1700 hours of sick leave.  I rolled that into a 401 K so I would have been giving her money. 


@spumoni99   I worked for the state of California for 38 yrs and had 1400 hrs of sick leave on the books when I retired. I would have had more but I used quite a bit of time to be with my mom after she was diagnosed with cancer. My remaining hours were added to my length of state service which gave me an additional 6 months, which, of course, affected my pension for the better. I received a very nice sized check for unused vacation.

 

I was a manager and had a couple employees who used their 8 hrs every month. I tried to convince them to consider those hours like money in the bank so that if and when they got seriously I'll or injured in an accident the time off would be available and they would still receive a paycheck. On more than one occasion I had to instruct the personnel clerk to return their payroll checks to HR at the end of the month because they were paid for time not worked (when their sick leave balances were in the red). They had to wait several days for the revised checks to come in. They complained they had bills to pay...they got no sympathy from me.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,985
Registered: ‎02-16-2019

@LuvSoCal wrote:

@spumoni99 wrote:

 


@Black Cat Back wrote:

There are a lot of closed door meetings today is all I can see.  And it does affect me.  Me and a few others have to do her work when she's out.  This has happened continuously in the last 2 years with lengthy absences.  When my husband died, I was out for bereavement for the 5 days we get.  I don't have the luxury of someone backing me up.

 

It's not easy when someone doesn't have a good attendance record and work is put on others who do.   I wish her the best, but people cry wolf one too many times and you begin to doubt them.   Stopping at a fast food restaurant before going to the ER if you are needing immediate attention doesn't compute.   I worked in a hospital for years, there is a cafeteria where you can get food or someone can bring it to you if you are that famished.

 

 

 

 

 


 

When I worked I got a generous sick leave/vacation time benefits.  I had a coworker that used her sick leave and vacation time as soon as she got it.  She had no children and when she was almost ready to retire she got a disease that caused her to retire a bit early.  She begged everyone to donate time to her, we all did not!  I had children she did not and I managed to retire with 1700 hours of sick leave.  I rolled that into a 401 K so I would have been giving her money. 


@spumoni99   I worked for the state of California for 38 yrs and had 1400 hrs of sick leave on the books when I retired. I would have had more but I used quite a bit of time to be with my mom after she was diagnosed with cancer. My remaining hours were added to my length of state service which gave me an additional 6 months, which, of course, affected my pension for the better. I received a very nice sized check for unused vacation.

 

I was a manager and had a couple employees who used their 8 hrs every month. I tried to convince them to consider those hours like money in the bank so that if and when they got seriously I'll or injured in an accident the time off would be available and they would still receive a paycheck. On more than one occasion I had to instruct the personnel clerk to return their payroll checks to HR at the end of the month because they were paid for time not worked (when their sick leave balances were in the red). They had to wait several days for the revised checks to come in. They complained they had bills to pay...they got no sympathy from me.


You reminded me...my sick leave went toward my time also, I did the 401K with my vacation balances. I felt bad we had a new person that didn't know her history and donated a bunch of time to her.  She would also ask us to get about 30 dollars worth of stuff for her when we went to costco then give us a ten, we kept it quiet when we went to costco after a few times!

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,775
Registered: ‎03-21-2010

Employee has been put on paid leave.   They are doing an investigation.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,135
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Black Cat Back Paid thats interesting

 


@Black Cat Back wrote:

Employee has been put on paid leave.   They are doing an investigation.


 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.