Honored Contributor

Why Don't Men Understand Why Carbs Stick To Women?

(Maybe our "knight on the board John will weigh in.).  

Everytime DH cooks, the starches are high, the vegies low, protein so-so and you can't say a word.

I have a "dream husband".  Yes, he's easy going adoring, and very sweet, but, he's always been slim (or regular), and he just doesn't get it why I back away from a plate of rice with sparse vegies.  I have to watch the starches I eat because they attack and permantely coat thighs!  

I don't want to eat "just a few spoonfuls" of it.  I've counted cals/carbs all day!!!!! 

(Are you fighting the same or different battles?).

Who is with me?  

Respected Contributor

Re: Why Don't Men Understand Why Carbs Stick To Women?

My DH is understanding but a couple we go out to dinner with frequently, the husband makes fun of us women because we usually order salads. It's mostly just teasing, but it still gets old after a while. Yes, the more I stick with salads and veggies and stay away from starchy things, the easier it is to maintain weight.

Honored Contributor

My husband has a 32 inch waist and he eats everything that is in sight.  He can and has eaten a whole cake in two days and a pie at one sitting.  He often will eat a quart of ice cream at a time and a half a gallon of ice cream in one day.

i have to force feed him vegetables.  He will eat fruit only in a dessert.

i do cook him good meals and he eats them, but has to have his sweets too.

He is always asking me to go to the ice cream shop for a Sundae with him, and gets upset that I don't want anything,  I don't really like ice cream.

He likes his sugar carbs and meat.  I have to watch his egg intake.  He can down six boiled eggs as a snack and eats deli meat by the handfuls.

oh yeah, his vitals are good.  No health problems. His brothers and sister are like that too.

i gain weight by breathing.  Life isn't always fair.

Honored Contributor

He doesn't understand that stuff because he has never had a weight problem.  It's not a man thing, it's a thin or average weight person thing.  I don't count carbs, I just don't eat any.  It's so much easier that way and I'm always "safe" but I have girlfriends who always say to me "one piece of cake won't hurt" or "that breading on the chicken won't hurt you" or "just eat half the white rice".  It bothered me once but now now.  They don't know, there's no reason why they should know. 

Respected Contributor

My husband is fit and trim and I have battled the bulge all of my life.   My problem area is my waist especially since my hysterectomy.  Holy cow every single thing I eat lands around my waist and midriff.  Very depressing.  I do like my starches but my BIG problem is sweets, sweets, sweets and they are horrible for you.  I don't like most vegetables anymore but I do try to eat them anyway.  The fight continues. 

Respected Contributor

My husband has never cooked a meal for us in the 30 years we've been married.  I am responsible for every meal and it's my choice.  I'm a huge vegetable eater.  Most times he won't even touch the veggies.  If he does, it's a tablespoonful and he thinks he did a wonderful thing by pointing out to me "see, I even ate my vegetables."  He does grill the meat in summertime.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My husband has a 32 inch waist and he eats everything that is in sight.  He can and has eaten a whole cake in two days and a pie at one sitting.  He often will eat a quart of ice cream at a time and a half a gallon of ice cream in one day.

He is always asking me to go to the ice cream shop for a Sundae with him, and gets upset that I don't want anything,  I don't really like ice cream.

He likes his sugar carbs and meat.  I have to watch his egg intake.  He can down six boiled eggs as a snack and eats deli meat by the handfuls.

oh yeah, his vitals are good.  No health problems. His brothers and sister are like that too.

The story of my life.  My husband eats like a cow and never gains weight. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You lost me at "when your husband cooks". 

Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

You lost me at "when your husband cooks". 

You made my day!! 😂
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

The story of my life.  My husband eats like a cow and never gains weight. 

Name of Documentary on this very topic escapes me. Science has proven genetics plays a role not only concerning weight individuals who smoked cigarettes entire life, living past 90 years old. Fascinating research, Its only a beginning imagine the future.