Respected Contributor

Any CPA'S Here? Tax Question

I know  you have different forms to do taxes. But if you were  to do an online tax form which one would you chose? Tax Act H&RBlock etc. I know Turbo Tax had some bad reviews so that one would be out. Any recommendations would be appreciated. TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Any CPA'S Here? Tax Question

I'm not a CPA but I have a very simple return, I have itemized deductions and sometimes another form for a energy rebate, etc and I use FreeTaxUSA.  If your return this year is pretty much the same as last year, find online forms, otherwise, you do need to use a professional.   Deadline is 4/18 this year.

@cuddlesmama

Trusted Contributor

I'm just finished my 9th year using Turbo Tax.  Will review taxes this weekend before e-filing.  My scenario is complicated.  

I haven't heard bad reviews, thanks for saying that.  Will be more diligent in my final review.  

I can't attest to other tax forms.  

Honored Contributor

We have been using TurboTax for years too.

Valued Contributor

We have a complicated return and have used Turbotax forever.  Never had even the smallest problem.

Honored Contributor

I use TAxAct online.  I have been using it for years with no problems.

Respected Contributor

If your AGI is below $64,000, go to IRS.gov.  There is software called Free File.   Take a look and see if it is something you could utilize in your particular situation. 

For years we used Tax Slayer.  This year since we are registered with Credit Karma we used their free tax filing for federal return.  For our state return we were able to file directly on line from their website.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cuddlesmama, not a CPA, but have worked for H&R Block in the past as a tax preparer, and I use  their program.  Never had a problem, already done our federal and received my refund last week!  It is very user friendly, IMO!

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama. Hi. Asked tax accountant hubby. He said Tax Act....from the horse's mouth.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've used Tax Act, too.

When we want to e-file, we used Tax Act. 

Sometimes we would do the forms manually. 

If you need to file a state form, you can choose that option too, and it will fill out your state form for you while it's also doing your federal form for you, too.