Frequent Contributor

I have tried to have the MRI my dr. has ordered. I first time I couldn't do it. I practically ran out of there. Then I tried an 'open MRI'. That was worse. I can not go thru with this test. They have suggested that I have meds before the test. How have others handles this? Thanks in advance.

Respected Contributor

It doesn't hurt. What scares you? I wondered if I might feel claustrophobic, but the first time,  (a) I had my husband sit there with his hand on my foot, and (b) they gave me headphones with a choice of music.  Just know that they are listening to you constantly and if you want to be pulled out for any reason they will come in and do so immediately. You're not trapped. I have to have MRIs every so often because of a brain issue. Your doctor can give you a sedative ahead of time if you are nervous, and that helped my mother when she had her first MRI.  I think having someone there touching my foot was the best thing, and  headphones with my choice of music or very helpful. I knew not to open my eyes. 

Honored Contributor

Anytime I'm scared of a test, I research it and remind myself lots of people have taken the test.  I totally clear my mind and go to "my happy place".  I've had several MRI's.  The people there are really nice and deal with scared people all the time. They will talk to you the entire time and tell you what's going to happen every step of the way.  Sounds like the Dr has a good suggestion.

Respected Contributor

I've had several MRI's - all open.  But I still get claustrophobic.  What helps me is wearing a blindfold, ear plugs and having music piped in.  Those things are SO NOISY I hate them.  But the first time I was offered a blindfold, it was easier for me.  As far as the operator hearing everything you say, I dunno.  I spoke several times to mine and never heard back from him/her.  If that's what you want, make it VERY CLEAR before you do it.  And yes, a tranquilizer may help a lot!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Valued Contributor

Did you open your eyes?  That was my mistake and I immediately felt claustrophobic and had to ask them to take me out.  Now whenever I have an MRI I use a sleep mask so I don't have to worry about the impulse to open my eyes.  That has worked for me.

Honored Contributor

Being claustrophobic myself, I have survived two of them on my head quite well--at least well for ME!  I just lay there and MADE myself relax and kept telling myself you are NOT going to be hurt, you are FINE, you will be OK, calm down, TAKE A BREATH AND LET IT OUT.  TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND LET IT OUT.  

I started to panic when they shot dye in, I got a warm feeling, but I kept saying my take a breaths and you are ok, you are NOT hurt, take a breath, over and over.

Honestly, I think you can do it.  I would have panicked without my eyes open I think, but to me it was sort of like being at the dentist with that stuff around you, and I am a HUGE chicken.

Just keep telling yourself I can take a breath, I am not in pain, I am not being hurt, I am FINE.  It is weird, but you will come out fine.  It may take awhile but you are fine and comfortable and you have air.

Best wishes to you.  Can you take a favorite cd for them to play???

Valued Contributor

Besides the regular MRI tube and the open MRI, there is an extra wide MRI machine.  Last time I had one, I was given something to squeeze if I wanted the procedure to stop, as the room was sound proof.  I did feel some heat in my chest, which I was surprised about.  You are told to hold your breath several times after taking a deep breath,  throughout the MRI procedure.  If you can use one of the machines that you comfortably fit into, then this is really no big deal.  Just close your eyes and think of a pleasant place, like the ocean.  DH could not do the regular size MRI tube, as he felt trapped  and used an open one and he said that it was easy. 

Valued Contributor

The last time I had one I think the tube was three inches bigger than I was, especially where my head was. I nearly panicked and they pulled me out. I really did not know if I could make it through.

My tech suggested a washcloth over my eyes and for me to try again. I did, and the cloth helped. I had to force myself to think of every "happy place" I ever had. I knew each time that thing got close around my head. Next time I might consider something to help me relax. I see no reason to suffer through this if I can find an easier way. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have to have an MRI once a year because of a brain tumor that was removed in 2015. I do not like the feeling of being closed in with the head piece. My doctor said he would give me valium to relax. I did it last year without the valium and I just couldn't wait to get out. I know the noise is just unnerving. I do get headphones with music but I still feel claustrophobic. You can do it. You just need to get  meds and relax.

Honored Contributor

It's not the claustrophobia that some people experience since you tried the open mri.  I've never heard of anyone not being able to take an open mri and I work in healthcare.  You must have some idea of what the problem is.  They can prescribe some valium for you to  calm you.  They can't give it to you in radiology but your doctor can prescribe it and you take it before you go in for the mri.  They also do sedated mri's but I've only seen that done for children and patients with cognitive or developmental delay issues because they can't keep still or follow directions.  I've had many mri's over the years, I actually got nauseous when I had my very first one.  They had stop and take me out.   It was new and I felt too closed in but I was fine every time after that because I knew what to expect.