Valued Contributor

Re: What to do, I am confused, I always want to do the right thing to help others

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine&rainbows wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

not sure what you are trying to get across.  If you are referring to the current politics in this country what does any of that have to do with doing the right thing and helping others?

@KathyPet

I have some friends and relatives that own small businesses, they are helping the economy in their own way.

They are wondering now if its all worth the money and time away from home.

That is what I mean by helping others.

I sure hope that explains it better.

Thank you for listening and responding, this is how we get the conversation started.

If that was the intent why did say you fear being bleeped if you said what you wanted?

Valued Contributor

Re: What to do, I am confused, I always want to do the right thing to help others

@chiclets wrote:

This podium is reading like the last debate, no doubt confusion.

Lol, true @chiclets!

Honored Contributor

I listen to all the debates both Democrat and Republican.  I vote for the person who most represents my beliefs and values.  I understand that this year is harder than most....at least for me it is.   There is no easy answer for the problems we face today and no one person will be able to solve them.  I just do the best I know how and leave the rest up to God. 

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

There is no such thing as "helping others" when it comes to this sort of a decision.  Have these relatives or friends asked you for your advice or opinion?  Everyone must make their own choices based on their belief in what is best.    You should not be trying to influence others.  That is a dangerous path to walk.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Politics aside, it is unsettling to live in a world where things are changing so fast. I'm a person who embraces change, yet I'm still thrown off by some of the ways our society has changed.  I no longer recognize popular entertainers and movie stars, for instance, and try as I might to keep up with technology and social media, it seems to be moving more quickly than I am.  The nourishing foods I grew up with are now considered to be unhealthy.  Most of what is on tv and in the movies is no longer relevant to my life.  "Fashion" today boggles my mind and the fact that people seem to think babies come before marriage is disturbing to me.  It's easy under these circumstances to become reactionary, to resist change and want to  go back to what is familiar and comforting to us.  The problem is, we can't do that.  Instead, I try to focus on what is good in the world.  Cures and treatments for diseases that once killed us are a good change, for instance. The new foods and customs that immigrant groups bring with them are intriguing to me.  Cars are more reliable and computer shopping makes my life so much easier.  Instead of swimming up stream like a salmon, try to go with the flow and embrace the things that enrich your life.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Great post, @house_cat, and you echo the same thoughts & feelings I've been having for a few years.  I remember the days when the main actors & stars were people like Harrison Ford, Dennis Quaid, Sylvester Stallone, Meg Ryan, Tom Hanks.  Now, I don't even recognize most of the actors up for academy awards! 

The biggest changes I see, all seem to come from us being on the internet & social media 24/7/365 so much, now.  Within 10 yrs, tablets such as iPads & the smart phones have gotten us with mobile internet plug-ins, to keep us informed & active in the internet all day, every day. That has changed everything.  We are plugged in, we have many more choices of where to get our information these days, & if we are fed up with the media force-feeding us their drama-for-ratings, we turn them off & go online instead.  We are finding our own little 'neighborhoods', forums & trusted people to talk with, rather than depending on these for-profit-ratings-spin-doctors.  Look at the mess that came about during the last 10 yrs, because the worst spin on a story always got the light shone on it, upsetting so many people.  Now we are sick of all that manipulation & spinning wheels by a huge number of leaders without getting anything accomplished, and looking for a #1 leader that will cut through that bull.  But whoa.  I thought it was a joke at first.  Now I can't seem to get my jaw up from the floor--I'm really amazed at the differences in how people think in just 10 short years.  Incredible!

I keep wondering what my parents & grandparents would have thought & said, if they were here! 

I must admit, I think for once, 'we the people' must have set the media & Washington on their rear ends, wondering what the blazes happened--they don't know us anymore, either!  Too many years of being fed up will change an awful lot.  Whoever controls the media controls the public, and now we are online as individuals.  I hope we are able to prevent the internet from becoming as corrupted as the media can become.  We don't have real choice or real freedom, if all we have is Choice A & Choice B, both force-fed to us & being the lesser of 2 evils and not 'real' choices, at all. I'm ready for Choice C.  Wish it would show up Smiley Wink

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Respected Contributor

If you make an informed choice and not listen to the rhetoric and hoopla, and also look out for your own best interests, whatever you do is the right thing.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

The post is vague... perhaps it is  a political post... And I think many of us are thinking this way.  If it were more specific it would be eliminated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine&rainbows wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

I think I understand it. Each day lately I've felt more and more and accepted that what we grew up and knew, just isn't anymore. It's a different pill to swallow, but I do feel that now, more than ever, I'm really accepting the fact as so many have said, "we are in a different world now", and we have to do our best to adapt. I hope this is what you're asking.

@qualitygal

Yes! You do understand, thank you. Heart

It is a little scary what the future might hold.

It is best to try to keep an open mind, or another way to put it, is to look at both sides, and be strong and stand for what you believe...

And now to be accepting... but at the same time keep your belief system and let it be know.

Just please do not try to stuff it down my throat.

We can agree to disagree.

@sunshine&rainbows

Too bad you couldn't be more clear.   

The ONLY thing you can count on in life is change.   I have no idea how old you are, but you should have figured this out by now.    This isn't new information.

Nevertheless, every now and then belief systems should be re-evaluated.   Times change.