Occasional Contributor

My dear friend H lost her soul mate G last October.  She and he were together for almost 7 years, living together for 6 of those years and wonderfully happy.  He was rushed to the hospital in August due to respiratory issues and after a few days he was diagnosed with leukemia and given a 50% chance.  He had to be put on a respirator and had an infection so a few weeks passed before he could even address the leukemia.  During that time he was on the respirator on and off.  When he was off, he was weak but lucid.  She applied for FMLA and found she could not get it unless she was his spouse.  They declared to be common law married on Aug 28th and shared the "we're married" news with a few people who visited him that day at the hospital.  His breathing continued to suffer so he was put back on the respirator within a day or so after.  She never left his side.  She slept at the hospital and lost almost 20 pounds.  She was his advocate with the nurses and doctors and his ardent supporter, caring for his every need.  His family (his parents are deceased and he has only one sister) including aunts, uncles and cousins visited from a town several hours away but could not stay at the hospital for very long, entrusting my friend to care for him.  Tragically, he passed in early October.  His progress had been looking good for September but then started to shut down suddenly.  Family and friends were called advising to come for their last goodbyes.  No family was there unfortunately when he passed, just a few friends who lived in the same city, including myself.  They missed their goodbyes by a few hours.  My friend was devastated.  Being his "wife" she tried to figure out the next steps.  Since he was only in his 40s and this was so sudden, there was nothing palanned.  His best friend since high school offered up his own plot that he had purchased many years ago, so with relief to have a plan they felt that G would be happy with, they set up a time with the funeral home to finalize the plan with the home and family members.  From the start, family members questioned her "wife" status.  "When did you get married?" "I don't understand." "Texas doesn't recognize common law marriage." (It does, BTW).  The push-back was only slight at the funeral home which was good, but you could tell they did not agree with her marital status nor the decisoins being made.  My friend H however was acting as a wife and making plans to bury her husband in a plot that she could also be buried in when the time comes.  His wake and funeral were packed.  100s of people showed up, showing how much he had touched so many people, particuarly his friends.  His family did not stay long, I suspect feeling excluded.  H continued on as a widow, paying his medical bills, closing his accounts, settling his debts, etc.  Until December when the sister contested her marriage and this past May it was ruled not a common law marriage since they didn't live together once they declared themselves.  They would have had he lived, as well as make it official, again had he lived.  Now the sister is deemed next of kin and H doesn't even know if she will get any money back she paid for his medical bills, etc.  In addition, the sister wants his personal belongings, providing a list of things from the sentimental (photo album) to the expected (TV) to the ridiculous (his cologne).  What do you think?  The sister says there was no marriage, she doesn't believe that her brother agreed to any marriage and thus she is next of kin and basically treats H as if she was just his roommate.  My friend is suffering even more because at least she could say she was his wife and he her husband, but now the marriage has been taken away from her.  There is a bit of money (about $30k) but after taxes and debts there will be maybe $10k left.  This has caused so much pain for H and I'm trying to understand the family's POV, but I'm having a hard time.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: What do you think?

[ Edited ]

sounds like the sister is thinking more about herself than anyone else. Sad.

The best thing you can do for your friend is be her friend. She needs love and support right now, and sadly she's not going to get it from that family.

Honored Contributor

This is a good example of why couples who have a long-term relationship should make it legal with marriage.  The principals have absolutely no legal status and are not considered "married" unless they have lived together and presented themselves as husband and wife.  This obviously cannot be done overnight in the case of a medical emergency.

At this point, your friend probably needs to see an attorney to ascertain exactly where she stands and what can be salvaged.  There's so little at stake that it might not be worth fighting the sister.  Its a very sad situation but when it comes to $$$, it's amazing what greed will cause a person to do.

Our board members who might be in a similar relationship, should take note.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

She needs a lawyer, which will probably eat up that $10,000 that might be left over.  And if she wants to be buried next to him, she needs to make sure that her name is on the two plots showing ownership.  I don't understand why they didn't get legally married.  I know that someone would have come to the hospital bedside to do that.  I certainly can sympathize with her, but there's some sticky legal stuff here.  You have to learn to protect yourself, especially in this type of situation.

Esteemed Contributor

Very sad situation .My heart goes out to your friend.The bottom line is she knows the truth.No one can take it away from her.His sister is selfish & greedy.She may win legally but she has already lost the moral battle!!

Give your friend the strength to hold her head up high.She was his wife & soulmate in every way that counts,period!!

Honored Contributor

I think it’s a very sad situation, and feel for your friend, but think the couple should have done more as far as declaring their “marriage”.  Since their sole purpose was meant to gain FMLA benefits for her and give her the ability to act on his behalf, they should have recognized that involved something else besides just saying “we’re married”, and telling a few people.    

They should have sought help thru hospital social workers to have insured a different ending to this situation.   Every adult with any assets; car, home, money in the bank, work benefits, etc., should have some type of a plan, period.   I have daughters in their late 30’s who have had a will, power of attorney, and living will in place for over 15 years, simply because it’s the responsible thing to do.   

Occasional Contributor

These are viable points and hindsight is 20/20.  The main issue is that nobody thought he would die.  We all thought there would be time.  By the time we started to question that, it was too late.  The other issue was that his respiratory was under duress so he was put on the respirator for so long which puts him under, that the "window" of lucidity started to be fewer and far between.  The declaration was a happy day for them and yes more should have been done but at the time, it wasn't so obvious.  Lesson learned is to yes, take action legally when you have the time and don't wait.  But this would all be for naught if the sister had not contested.  Before the courtdate, H's lawyer reached out for a settlement, but the sister wanted it all.  She's hurting ad I feel for her but I wish she knew how much pain she is inflicting.  

Honored Contributor

I'd let the family have his stuff.  It's probably best to see a lawyer, so there are no further issues in the future.

Respected Contributor

Just want to say that I am so, so sorry that your friend is going through this stressful time after losing her love. I feel so bad for her.  She spent years with this man.  It is horrible that his family is not recognizing their relationship.

Families can do ugly things in this situation.  My mother went through this when her Mom died.  My uncle was executor of her will.  He did not invite my mother to the reading of the will.  He and his family went through the house and took everything that they wanted without involving my Mom.  She lost many things that were important to her and got next to nothing from the house.  My Mom and Dad had been very generous with her brother and his family over many years.  Their greed was appalling and heartbreaking.  

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you think?

[ Edited ]

why did H apply for fmla....not familiar with it..did he have a good relationship with his sister?  if so, i think she's entitled to something...especially if the marriage isn't recognized as common law....