Valued Contributor

Re: What do you consider Old Lady clothes?

• Elbow length sleeves, large floral or other loud prints, jeans that get baggy after wearing, tees with embroidery, shirts or shrugs that tie at the bottom, big shirts with tanks. 
Honored Contributor

@lgfan   Well she is an "old lady" but looks attractive.

What I don't understand is the term "matronly"  Is that like "old lady"????

Esteemed Contributor

I loved my grandmother dearly, but she always wore "old lady sandals". They were white, small heel, a strap across the ankle and a series of straps down the foot with her toes sticking out, and always white in color. She and grandfather moved to Florida and she never deviated from those awful looking white sandals that most all of the little older ladies in her mobile home park wore.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@lgfan   Well she is an "old lady" but looks attractive.

What I don't understand is the term "matronly"  Is that like "old lady"????

I agree that she is an attractive lady but her dress screams "old lady" to me.  Matronly does mean old lady for many people. 

Respected Contributor

@paixmcdao 

Hoo boy....here goes....and remember you ASKED for it!!!!

Start with a  well-worn flannel shirt a little too loose, buttoned up to the neck...tucked into....

Twill or "work pants" in dark blue or brown, and here's the critical fashion MUST....  the waistband belt cinched right under the breastbone, with at LEAST an 18" fly that goes from breastbone to mid-thigh....

Cuffs if possible but not required....

Then..either cheap black gumshoe "running shoes" with one velcro tab to close, or, loafer -like shoes that are all squashed out of shape...that reveal the nylon old man socks that are bunched up around the ankles cause there's no elastic left....

In the front  pants pocket, one of those oval squeeze change purses that they open at the cash register AFTER the order is rung up, to find that one last green corroded penny nestled in the lint that covers the inside of the purse.....at which time, the old timer may also hold up a gray nickel to the light and say to no one in particular.....

"Is this a nickel or a quarter???? I can't tell..they look alike..,,,,,"

And to complete the Old Man outfit...a patented "old man snot rag"  or "hanky" ...hanging out of the rear pants pocket wrinkled so you can't tell if it's clean and wrinkled or stiff from use and wrinkled....paisley print....red or blue only....

If you get REALLY close, you'll see the long hairs twining out of each ear, under one of those old man  flat caps that sit half on and half off the head.

That should do it!!!

One time a male friend was here late, and he had no comfortable clothes to change into after his shower, so I gave him a pair of stretched out well worn old leggings that I wear when gardening or doing lawn work. The waist has no elastic left and easily can accomodate a 65 inch waist...When I wear them I use a binder clip to hold them up....hey...it's for dirty work....!!!!

He came walking out into the living room with those leggings hitched up to his breastbone, in the patented old man pants style...and when I saw him I spit out a whole can of soda all over the TV set.

We were roaring and crying ( laughing so hard) and swearing oaths.....!

Hope you like my version of Old Man clothes!!!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

I guess anything that starts with "Old Lady" is the kiss of death.

Some day, young lady, middle-age lady, you will be an "old lady" if you are lucky.  As long as women are neat and clean, I will not judge them.  I have better things to do, and I am an old lady.  I do think most people are doing the best they can.

You might want to consider that some older folks are hurting for money.  I used to volunteer at a home for the poor aged folks.  Some had clothing bought for them, others wore donated clothing.

They were among the most beautiful people I have ever met.

while i agree with what you are saying, that is a different topic than the OP asked.

i think as certain women age, they just 'give up' and buy in the 'womens' department and stay put.  

there are fashionable clothes that can be worn for a mature woman that do not look matronly (old lady).  you just have to know where to look.  

there was a poster here who was in her mid 70's & buying CCB and loved her style. i felt she was geared to a younger woman.  its all a mindset.

Respected Contributor

Ok to me - baggy loose tops with doo dads and sparkles on them. Loud prints with big flowers on them. Pull on pants other than workout wear.  

Americana wear...just no

Baggy shift dresses

Everything matches

Remember that's MY OPINION and if you are comfortable in these kind of clothes, go for it!

Honored Contributor

Never heard of Alfred Dunner so I googled it. "Picked myself up off the floor"

Trusted Contributor

I asked Google A.I. ( for fun 😋)

This is what artificial intelligence gave as examples of "old lady/old man" clothing:

25k_456_srgb_1_2.jpg

a2708422962d721ddeff300f6b3f8e3d.jpg

W8_1160x.jpg

8c6aa118b48f4c37634ba829780898c3.jpg

31j_3_2018.jpg

Screenshot_20240612-200937_kindlephoto-1012568703.png

Screenshot_20240612-201009_kindlephoto-1012595066.png

Screenshot_20240612-200958_kindlephoto-1012614253.png

Trusted Contributor

Dusters, loud floral prints, shrugs, shawls, elastic waist pants