Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  This seems very important to you. I say do what you want it’s your money too. Life is too short. 

Honored Contributor

IMO, $10,000 is too much money to spend on something that is purely cosmetic just to make you feel good.  I'd look for an alternative like teeth whitening with at home kit or by a dentist.  When made lighter and the color evened out, any flaws in the teeth like cracks will not be obvious. 

I think it's selfish to consider spending that much money just so you can feel better about yourself.  Find a better way.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Re: What Should I Do?

[ Edited ]

FYI/Google:

Dental school is the most expensive professional-degree program in the US. ... Average tuition for private medical schools was cheaper than that for dental schoolin 2016, but not by much. Private programs charged $53,240, and public in-state medical schools charged $28,720.

DDS that specialize, veneers, for example, more training, more school.

Esteemed Contributor

I would advise you not to make a move until the two of you have talked and agreed on a decision.  Only you know your financial situation, assets and liabilities.  I don’t know how old your DH is - is he still working?  Are you still working?  If so, when will you retire?  How much $ will you have coming in retirement?  What do you anticipate your expenses will be?

It’s important to both be “on the same page.”

As someone who has been married 53 years, neither of us have ever spent a lot of money without consulting each other.

I have seen it happen with some I know, and it has caused a great deal of resentment.  If you can afford it, you can stress how happy it will make you, which is a big investment in happiness for both of you.  Best of luck to you!

Honored Contributor

It is a lot for something cosmetic. I'm wondering if they look worse to you than to anyone else. Sure, I've noticed people with missing or rotten teeth, but yours don't come close to that so I'd probably skip the repairs. Ultimately, it's up to you and DH what your next step will be.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

I would advise you not to make a move until the two of you have talked and agreed on a decision.  Only you know your financial situation, assets and liabilities.  I don’t know how old your DH is - is he still working?  Are you still working?  If so, when will you retire?  How much $ will you have coming in retirement?  What do you anticipate your expenses will be?

It’s important to both be “on the same page.”

As someone who has been married 53 years, neither of us have ever spent a lot of money without consulting each other.

I have seen it happen with some I know, and it has caused a great deal of resentment.  If you can afford it, you can stress how happy it will make you, which is a big investment in happiness for both of you.  Best of luck to you!

@PamfromCT  Thankyou for your input. We are both retired. We are very comfortable financially....we do not waste money, and we savers for our entire working careers.  We do not   live beyond our means....we are conservative as far as spending.

I am the "Doer" In the relationship....fixing, doing repairs that need doing etc. If it were up to him, we would have a leaky roof, if you get my drift.... 

Super Contributor

Something to remember, the  vaneers will have to be replaced in 10 years.  Vaneers do not last forever.  They will start to chip, particularly in the back or up at the gum line and if not taken care of immediately will do a lot of damage to the teeth. I have had vaneers on my front teeth since my early 30s.   Before that the two front teeth were bonded not only for cosmetic reasons but due to extensive surgery on mouth in my late teens. The cost you were quoted seems high for the part of the country you live in too.   

You might want to shop around.  You will probably get a much cheaper price from someone who recently opened a practice. You mentioned small cracked  those can be buffed out and your teeth professionally whitened for a lot less money. 

Honored Contributor

You have answers all over the place!...makes things more confusing.

Here's my 2 cents....while I don't have an issue with my teeth, I understand how it feels to not like what you see in the mirror.  I don't like the bags under my eyes.  I plan on doing something about it...but first I need to lose a few pounds (been working on that) just to see how it will affect my face. 

I would like to either get fillers or have surgery done which can be expensive.

People spend a lot of money on things that are important to them.  For some it's travel ... At our age many of us travel more than we did when raising a family.  I know a lot of people who will spend more than that in a year of travel.

That said, if I were you (my husband would make the same sort of comment....but would never say not to do it) I would first research all ways to improve your issue.  Can you brighten your teeth & have the cracks fixed for less?  If not and you have your heart set on it then I would go forward as long as you feel that you can afford it.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Actually I do,  I have I have 4 upper implants attached to a fixed bridge and two lower implants attached to a removeable bridge, I had my work done at a local denatal school and the whole thing was around 25,000.

I just googled prices in my area Scarsdale NY, and the prices are from 1,000 to 3,000 per tooth.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

10,000 is a huge price tag

@I am still oxox Have you compared prices for cosmetic dental work.  It is not an unusual price. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Wow. Wow. Wow.  I hesitate to give my honest opinion, but since you asked:

That just seems like a whole LOT of money to make you feel better about yourself.  I must definitely come from a different socio-economic class.  Not better, not worse, just different.  I'm thinking that if you want to feel better about yourself just think about what a difference that amount of money would make to someone who can't afford to see a dentist for regular cleaning, or someone who can't afford to get their car repaired, or their leaky roof fixed.  You get the drift.  You could bless countless lives with $10,000.

Of course, it's ultimately up to you and your husband.  I'm just respectuflly offering a little different perspective.