Honored Contributor

Re: We're all a little Irish in the March 2019 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

@possummink   I am really sorry to read that your sister has a kidney stone that is reluctant to pass. 

I've never had one myself however many years ago I worked with a guy who became almost incapacitated at work from pain.  At that time my company had an onsite clinic (sort of) that was staffed by a real nurse.  Me and a co-worker got Marlon in a wheelchair after the nurse called an ambulance and got him to the front door to wait for transport.  He was in so much pain I honestly didn't know what was going on.

We found out it was a kidney stone a day later.

At the end of my career I worked with a guy named Bob who was a sweetheart.  I never saw someone drink as much water as Bob.  I thought I drank water like a camel until I met Bob.  I learned after not seeing him for a couple of days that he was genetically predisposed to kidney stones.  It had nothing to do with his diet or liquid intake - he was prone to developing kidney stones since he was a teenager.

Can you imagine a lifetime of that?  He went through ESWL so many times, he was a regular.

I hope that the surgery goes well for your sister and that she doesn't develop any more stones any time soon.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Good Morning everyone. It is not raining right now but it poured again last night. Sure is COLD however. I keep looking at the calendar and seeing yep, it IS March. Like I have mentioned before I detest this weather but will be the first to yell when the heat/ sets in. Ahhhh, I remember the great days of NO humidity here in Sou Cal. Those days are gone.

Ditty is outside probably causing trouble. He is on my bad list as three days in a row the remains of a dead bird were in my carport. Grrrr. He had not been doing that - as far as I know that is. He continues to sneak Miss Blackie's food - not good for him as her food is for an OLD, fat inside cat. He needs - and has - food for a young independent rowdy cat. Geesh.

Birds have slowed down - interesting - but still need to go out later and check feeders. Yesterday I only had to fill up the Black Oil sunflower seed, flat tray feeder - after I poured out the water and one other feeder. Most still had food in them - they have been doing that for several days now after driving me insane by devouring all the food in pouring rain and winds and freezing temps.

Possum I have heard that kidney stones are very painful. I have never experienced that problem - thank goodness - but have several friends and/or their family members who have suffered really bad.

The oxygen concentrator people are coming out to clean and check my concentrator. Shucks, that means I have to clear a path for them. LOL.

Have a great day everyone. As usual I really enjoy the pictures.

Esteemed Contributor

After submitting tests for genetic heritage, I learned that I am 8% Irish. That may explain why my two visits to that wonderful isle were so amazing. Today, my local supermarket was selling all the fixings for St Patrick’s Day dinner. I bought it all. My mother made corned beef and cabbage every year at St Patrick’s Day and I have carried on her tradition. Her maiden name is Irish so that may explain the tradition and the genetic connection. All I know is that I love corned beef and cabbage with Irish soda bread. I know that’s more American than Irish but I enjoy it nevertheless.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

After submitting tests for genetic heritage, I learned that I am 8% Irish. That may explain why my two visits to that wonderful isle were so amazing. Today, my local supermarket was selling all the fixings for St Patrick’s Day dinner. I bought it all. My mother made corned beef and cabbage every year at St Patrick’s Day and I have carried on her tradition. Her maiden name is Irish so that may explain the tradition and the genetic connection. All I know is that I love corned beef and cabbage with Irish soda bread. I know that’s more American than Irish but I enjoy it nevertheless.

@Vivian 

Hi Vivian,   My paternal grandmother was one generation from Ireland and even spoke with kind of a Irish accent.   I, too,  love corned beef and cabbage and fix the traditional corned beef, cabbage and potatoes.  I also put carrots into the pot.   I usually make 3 pieces of the corned beef as we love Reuben sandwiches too.   I make them and just plain corned beef sandwiches with horseradish and butter.  Might sound weird, but it's so good.  I haven't gotten my corned beef yet but saw some beautiful rounds of it at the store last week.   I didn't buy it because it's not 'on sale' yet.  I am hoping they put it on this coming week.  I like the rounds because they are leaner than the briskets.   Briskets are so tender and full of flavor.   Heck I'll eat either and thoroughly enjoy it. 

I need to get rye bread for the Reubens and sauerkraut, plus baby Swiss cheese, thousand island dressing too.   Need to get busy and make a list.   

One of these days I'd love to have an Ancestry test, just have to buckle down and do it.  I find it fascinating that they can do this for us. 

Have a lovely Friday and weekend. 

Honored Contributor

St. Patrick's day cookies and they are edible.   So fancy but I'd love to have one to try.  

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: outdoor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Vivian   @possummink   I have Irish on both sides, my Paternal Grandmother came from Ireland, but I am a mutt, lol.  

I also fix corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots, but had forgotten about it coming up until I read something today.  We usually have Dijon mustard with it, but @possummink  your sandwiches sound good.

That is a good idea to get more than one corned beef as it goes so fast here, once it shrinks in the cooking, not as much left over.  My mouth is watering now just thinking about it. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: text