Honored Contributor

Currently the bottom half of the walls are beadboard, the rest is papered.  The concern is what others mentioned, a flat wall shows every imperfection, but then the walls were finished for papering and probably not perfect like a wall would be finished to be flat, which would be a better finishing job.  I really think I would prefer a 'slight' texture as another poster mentioned that is what they have on their walls.

I guess since I have not personally seen any flat finished walls I am worried about how they look but I guess is would depend on the skill of the plastering company.  

I called a construction company to give us a quote on tearing out the tub and shower surround as well as working on the walls..... they were quite informative and spent a good deal of time measuring, etc....over 30 days ago.  I do not have my quote yet....I think 30 days is plenty of time to get a bid around.  The 2nd company is coming out next week to bid the job, so much to think about, dh and I know nothing about this sort of thing.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a fan of going with what is "in". I think you should go with what you want. When we built our house 20 some years the texture they put on it was called "orange peel" I think. Its not smooth, but its not super textured either.

Respected Contributor

We have a newly built home and the walls are slightly textured.  I prefer a slightly more textured walls though.

I think textured walls look more expensive; don't like flat walls at all. 

Valued Contributor

When we recently sold our home we removed a lot of the wallpaper using a Black & Decker steamer and vinegar.  It went surprisingly quickly, however all the papered walls had been well sized prior to papering.  I know this, since did both the sizing & papering!

We were rather tired by the time we got to the den & powder room.  The paper was still very tight to the walls, so we decided to paint over the paper.

We skim coated each seam, and put a coat of "35" from Sherwin Williams over the walls.  This goes on like skim milk and helps the paint adhere to the substraight.

The end effect after 2 coats of paint was perfectI

Honored Contributor

@happycat  I agree with you..... when he said 'flat' walls were in....I immediately thought, don't care what is in I like my slightly textured walls, but needed feedback from others. I do like the knockdown texture on walls but not sure I should mix finishes throught the house.

Esteemed Contributor

As you have beadboard walls I would remove the paper in the full bath and paint using Benjamin Moore Aura bath and spa paint. Made for the bathroom. More pricey but worth it. Paint your vanity white while you are at it if it needs the update.

I think texture is much less of an issue in the bathroom than color and finishes/ fixtures. 

For reference: I have been both a home seller and buyer within the past year. It's your dollars, get what you want (without being too extreme, color-wise).

Super Contributor

I hate being told "what's in" also!  To my liking, my walls are an orange peel texture & I don't care if it's out. There will be no changes here.  So I say keep what you like. Remember what is "IN" eventually goes "OUT"!

Esteemed Contributor

We have an older home and are in the middle of a wallpaper project or two. I like the textured plaster walls. I would paint over them and not remove the texture. I like the way the light reflects of the textures during the different times of the day. I'm one for keeping my home current but witha priority on what I like. Not a big fan of flat walls.

Respected Contributor
My home is twenty years old and they do have light texture. I like it. Go with what you want.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Before you make a final decision, look into how the texture is achieved. 

Is the wall surface itself altered , and then primed & painted after some curing time?

Or is it like the 'sand' that's simply mixed into the paint and painted on?

Should make a sizeable difference in price.