Honored Contributor

We are planning an update to a bathroom.  Currently there is paper on the walls, but if we move forward with the project, I will not repaper, I wanted painted walls.

One contractor told us that flat walls were the way to go now.  Our house was built in the early 70's and the walls are plastered with a slight texture....he said that is very outdated.

I have never been a fan of 'flat' walls they just seem so flat.  We are not going to go to the extra expense of a knock down finish....any thoughts about wall texures?

Edited to add, I am not talking about flat paint I am talking about either flat walls or textured walls...currently they are plastered with a slight swirl pattern.

Esteemed Contributor

I would go with flat. Depending on how much the walls are textured, wouldn’t they be hard to clean?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda All the walls in the house have a texture, slight swirl, it's all I have ever known....they are not hard to clean....I really don't clean walls unless the paint gets dirty...which does not really happen...it occasionally sweep the walls, especially at the corners near the ceiling.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wall texture

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs  

Kitchen and bathroom are smooth, which is traditional for ease of cleaning since kitchen and bathroom walls are washed more often than other walls in the house. That's also why they're usually painted in a semi gloss.

When you say slight texture do you mean a sand texture that leaves tiny raised points in the finish?

My house is older, mid 1930s and the formal rooms have a true texture from plaster applied in irregular waves.

But the bedrooms and hallways have a sand texture.

-ah, i see you added more info while i was trying tho get my post together.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge  Yes, a sand texture on all walls that are not papered.

I think I will need to 'see' what the flat walls look like, but I guess if we have the bathroom work done the contractor would sand and clean the walls, then apply a skim coat to smooth out any imperfections....does that sound right?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Wallpaper hides an abundance of flaws.

Especially if the original covering was paper, and the builder knew the wall surface would be hidden.

If your contractor suggested skim coat after removing paper it's because the flaws will show.

Bathroom lighting can be unforgiving, highlighting every dip and tiny dent in the surface.

Believe me, you'll see the irregularities. 

Go with a skim coat.

Honored Contributor

Beadboard is very pretty.

This room is done in white and charcoal, but you could use the colors you decorate in.

Image result for bathroom done with beadboard

Honored Contributor

I had some of my walls redone about 10 years ago as I was doing some remodeling. They are flat yet still have a bit of a texture to them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs  Would you be loosing the charm of your home with a flat wall in the bathroom? If so, keep the original walls and have the contractor paint over them (after removing the wallpaper) with one of the appropriate types of paint. Obviously, it can be done. Think of the 100-200 year old homes that are gorgeous!

It's your home and you should be happy with it. You will be living with it . . . not him!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs : I think @ECBG  has the right idea for you.

I had white beadboard in two of the 3 bathrooms in my former house. Looks great with white fixtures. Looked very much like the picture posted. Inexpensive and easy to clean. You can paint any color you like above the wood. I think the style is classic and appealing.

That photo looks just like my former powder room, except the walls were painted a tan color. I like the contrast with a navy or rich gray, but just about any color would work.