Trusted Contributor

I posted a question about a month ago on cataract surgery with multi focal IOL lenses. Some of you asked for an update, so here it is:

My main concern was having one shorter range vision lense in one eye and the other at or further than 18-20 inches away. I did not want to wear readers again.

I took the plunge and had one lense set to a closer than 18 inches range for 20/20 ( left, non-dominant eye) and the right eye (dominant) for 20/20 vision beyond 18 inches.

The lenses overlap in the middle range, so I gained great near and far vision. 

I am only 50 and still doing a lot of computer work and love to read.

I'm not saying anyone else should do this, this is only my experience.

I am very, very pleased and type this post without any glasses.

Also, I had no idea I was seeing everything with a yellow cast. Not anymore. 

I am so grateful.

Honored Contributor

Re: Update: cataract question

@Chicagosuburbangirl  I remember that discussion and am so glad you are happy with the results!

Valued Contributor

Glad to hear you had positive results. I am dreading the day when I have to have cataract surgery.   I am near sighted and right now I can read a book without glasses, even the back of most small medicine bottles.   I really hate to give that up, if I don't have to.

Respected Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl   I'm glad to hear that worked out well for you.  The only caveat with that would be if you had a problem after surgery with one eye (inflamation, detachment, etc).  I say this because I had cataract surgery over two years ago and had the expensive multi-focal lenses put in.  I was initially able to see 20/20 in both eyes.  After that, I had inflamation in one eye, and ultimately a detached retina.  I'm still having problems with that eye (the dominant one), so if it wasn't for the other one being OK, I'd be up s--t creek.

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

I turned 60 earlier this month and just had my annual eye exam last week. I have the trace beginnings of cataracts in both eyes.  I hate this getting older thing. It sucks!

Respected Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl:  Thanks so much for the update and congratulations on your success in your decision making. Sometimes the hardest part is (as you state) taking the plunge.

Enjoy your “new” life!

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl 

Thank you for the update. Glad it is working out for you. I had a similar procedure with my iol lenses. Left eye/multi/Right eye/mono. Was much older than you when I  had this done, but I went from tri-focals to not needing any glasses. Still working great many years later.

Good for you,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@D Kay I'm 71 and had mine a few years ago. Like you, I could read with no problem, just needed glasses for driving.

The surgery and recovery were uneventful! However, I did need readers afterwards but it is well worth it to have my eyes "fixed".  I wish you all the best when your time comes!

Respected Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl 

Glad you are happy with the results !

Your comment about seeing formerly the “ yellow cast “ reminded me of two things that happened the next AM.  First, as I walked down the hall, I noticed that sunlight seen with the just-treated eye wasn’t “ golden “ but a cold ******e light.

Then when I did my makeup, I noticed each eye saw a different shade: one yellow and warm, the other cool and white.  Thought about going to  makeup counter and having a color tester done, but what if the salesperson had cataracts !!!

Once the second eye got done there was no more confusion.

But then, my favorite red cape wasn’t the shade of red it used to be!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz   Yes, I was always looking at the sky seeing a soupy yellow-green color and thinking, wow Chicago weather has really changed, lol.

I'm rethinking some of my lipstick choices and clothing colors.  My favorite pink lipstick now looks a little garish, oh well.

It really is s whole new world.