Esteemed Contributor

Re: Typing, what about writing?

@Carmie wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@depglass wrote:

Ever seen the handwriting of kids now days?  It isn't used much but when it is, it's a total disaster.  Some can't even manage a decent signature.  

@depglass 

I know when I was in grade school we started learning cursive writing in the 2nd grade. Since we have no human kids, I have no idea what they teach to kids, and/or at what age.

What I do know is from experiencing some of the lack of knowledge when a young cashier has to use a calculator for very simple math. My bill is $3.05 and I hand the cashier a 5$ bill+ a nickel, and out comes the calculator.

Experienced a few other things such as non-digital time pieces, but my interactions with these younger generations is limited.

What I know is pretty much what I see and hear on the news. Had I grown up the way I see the "now" generations?  The word independent would be only a word I learned from hearing it, or from a dictionary.

hckynut 🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn 

Don't get me started on kids and adults that do not know how to count back change. When I was in high school I worked at Burger King and I was the casher at the drive thru window. The machine would just give you the total on the ticket and you would hang it up. When the car made it to your window, you would grab their ticket take their cash and use your head to count back the change. 

If the computer goes out many are confused on how to count back change. 

With debit cards and credit cards and other electronic payments, cash soon will go by the wayside.  There will be no need to count change back.

Some retailers will not except cash payments already.

@Carmie 

I believe you are right. Every other week when I get paid. I like to take out $100.00 for incidentals over the next two weeks. I use it for like tipping my manicurist when I get my feet done, lunch with co-workers and things like that, instead of using my debit card multiple times throughout the week. I started to notice it around COVID time, that more and more people when I take out at cash to pay for something except for the manicurist, always say with surprise . You are using cash?  LOL. Ummm...yes I am. It's still a legal form of payment as far as I know. 

Valued Contributor

Some of the teenagers I had working for me needed to see the amt. of change to be given on the register..used to make me nuts!

They could have never worked for my parents..They had an old cast iron register that only went up to $3! They would never know how to ring up $ 7.12 and then make change from a $10 bill!!

<p>In my school, cursive was taught in third grade. &nbsp;One year I had a student who legally blind. &nbsp;At that time, I only had to teach him to write his name in cursive. &nbsp;I read here that that is not even required. &nbsp;I have been retired 25 years. &nbsp;Times change.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
Honored Contributor

One example .... genealogy related documents.  Copies of old church records, death records, census documents.  

----------------------------

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

We learned the "Palmer Method" back in the 2nd or 3rd grade.  Back in those days, we had inkwells and stick pens.

I wonder how today's kids will handle various research issues later in college or when working - when their original documents are written in cursive. 

I can print, write cursive and Pitman shorthand.  

What documents are they going to have to research that are only available in their original cursive?  Please name one.  

Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Kids and young adults don't have handwriting. They print. 

I am the only one that writes a company check out anymore because #1, I know how to do it, and #2, I can do it quick because I write cursive.  

It thrills me when the boss's 23 year old son with a wife and kid asks me to write out a company check for the plumber he called to fix the bathroom. Smiley LOL

I'm the controller at my company.  We don't handwrite checks.  Bills are paid electronically, on the company credit card, or printed from the accounting software.  I've been doing this 20 years and have never worked for an organization that hand wrote checks.   I've mostly worked for small businesses.

Nonetheless, the threads bashing our youth get tiresome.  My son is a senior in high school.  Based on my experience with him and his peers, our future is in good hands.  (And he learned to write in cursive and has better penmanship than me, but that clearly doesn't fit OP's agenda.)

@RollTide2008  I've seen these Post many times about the kids. I don't know what kids they are talking about. The school children and teenagers I know don't print. I haven't seen those in years.

Checks nowadays aren't handwritten. Maybe it depends on the Company.

The Posters should not assume that every one prints. They should talk about those that they know and ask why.

Print?? Not those I know.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter.  No one uses cursive for anything that matters anymore.  Just the occasional signature on a legal document.  And if you are doing those things online, through secure portals....signatures aren't required.   

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
@Laura14 wrote:
Kids and young adults don't have handwriting. They print. 
I am the only one that writes a company check out anymore because #1, I know how to do it, and #2, I can do it quick because I write cursive.  
It thrills me when the boss's 23 year old son with a wife and kid asks me to write out a company check for the plumber he called to fix the bathroom. Smiley LOL
I'm the controller at my company. We don't handwrite checks. Bills are paid electronically, on the company credit card, or printed from the accounting software. I've been doing this 20 years and have never worked for an organization that hand wrote checks. I've mostly worked for small businesses.
Nonetheless, the threads bashing our youth get tiresome. My son is a senior in high school. Based on my experience with him and his peers, our future is in good hands. (And he learned to write in cursive and has better penmanship than me, but that clearly doesn't fit OP's agenda.)

Yes....    Bashing anyone who hasn't turned 70 yet is just a feature of this board.  

Honored Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

I listened to a podcast the other day that I actually agreed with. The speaker was talking about how schools need to revamp their curriculum massively.

We send our kids to 12 years of regular school to learn history, science, writing, reading and so on. NONE of what they are learning is going to be helpful in life now because there is not a single thing they can't look up on the internet now. There is no need to learn the capital of every state, or the name of continents etc. All that info is on the internet.

What they DON'T teach in schools is life skills. Money, budgeting, communicating with others, social problem solving, even investing. All the skills to lead a balanced life.

Life was not as complicated as it is now when "schools" were developed. There was no "info at your finger tip".

The skills they need to learn now are social and economic. It is part of the big problem with teens and young people (20's-30's) now. Nowhere are they taught the skills they need nowadays to just get along with people.

It was a great podcast. I really agreed with him because all book knowledge can be found in a nano-second. How to interact with people, problem solve, learn to be independent, how to be a good friend, etc. used to be taught in the home. Yet the family unit has transformed. There are so many homes either intact but parents have to work a lot and struggle to balance work with kids, or there are broken homes where kids are living in one home for a week and then the other home for a week (or watever is set up), so kids a truly struggling to try to function and understand the world as a whole.

His point of view was to get rid of unneeded courses that will be of no benefit to them, and start incorporating more life skill courses.

My kids learned cursive but I think they might be the last generation that learned it. My youngest is 34. My grandchildren only print and even their printing is hard to read. But give them a keyboard and they fly through writing. It's partly sad, but it is also a reality.

The internet has really dumbed down society imo (including adults). We don't really have to think anymore (we can, but why when Google is right in your hands?)

@gabstoomuch 

I have felt strongly about this for a long time.  Who was the speaker doing the podcast?   

Respected Contributor

I've always had fairly wretched handwriting (it was my lowest grade way back then). 

Now I combine a bit of cursive with a lot of printing.

Not forcing children to learn cursive is fine with me!

Valued Contributor

Our school district eliminated cursive writing a few years ago, so one of my granddaughters never learned it. Now they are bringing it back and her sister is learning cursive, however they are not incorporating it into the curriculum of the few grades that haven't yet learned it. If it's important enough to resume teaching it, it should be taught to all.