Honored Contributor

Ever seen the handwriting of kids now days?  It isn't used much but when it is, it's a total disaster.  Some can't even manage a decent signature.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Typing, what about writing?

Kids and young adults don't have handwriting. They print. 

I am the only one that writes a company check out anymore because #1, I know how to do it, and #2, I can do it quick because I write cursive.  

It thrills me when the boss's 23 year old son with a wife and kid asks me to write out a company check for the plumber he called to fix the bathroom. Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

All true.  But you wouldn't want to see my handwriting either.  Back in the day, I used to get A's for penmanship.  Now as an older person, all I can do is chicken scratches. Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Ever seen the handwriting of kids now days?  It isn't used much but when it is, it's a total disaster.  Some can't even manage a decent signature.  

@depglass 

I know when I was in grade school we started learning cursive writing in the 2nd grade. Since we have no human kids, I have no idea what they teach to kids, and/or at what age.

What I do know is from experiencing some of the lack of knowledge when a young cashier has to use a calculator for very simple math. My bill is $3.05 and I hand the cashier a 5$ bill+ a nickel, and out comes the calculator.

Experienced a few other things such as non-digital time pieces, but my interactions with these younger generations is limited.

What I know is pretty much what I see and hear on the news. Had I grown up the way I see the "now" generations?  The word independent would be only a word I learned from hearing it, or from a dictionary.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Public schools in my area do not teach cursive writing.  My oldest went to Catholic school and they taught it there.  Youngest went to a special school for children with ADHD and learning disabilitites and they taught it as well. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

Kids and young adults don't have handwriting. They print. 

I am the only one that writes a company check out anymore because #1, I know how to do it, and #2, I can do it quick because I write cursive.  

It thrills me when the boss's 23 year old son with a wife and kid asks me to write out a company check for the plumber he called to fix the bathroom. Smiley LOL

I'm the controller at my company.  We don't handwrite checks.  Bills are paid electronically, on the company credit card, or printed from the accounting software.  I've been doing this 20 years and have never worked for an organization that hand wrote checks.   I've mostly worked for small businesses.

Nonetheless, the threads bashing our youth get tiresome.  My son is a senior in high school.  Based on my experience with him and his peers, our future is in good hands.  (And he learned to write in cursive and has better penmanship than me, but that clearly doesn't fit OP's agenda.)

Esteemed Contributor

Like many of my age, 72, I was taught cursive in school.  In sixth grade we had a class every Friday dedicated to learning cursive.

We each paid $1.25 or $1.50 for a fountain pen. Our teacher, the wonderful Mrs.Graham, had a wooden block with holesdrilled in it Our pens were kept there when not in use. We took them home at the end of the year.

Honored Contributor

It's not required that a signature be written in cursive.  

Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Like many of my age, 72, I was taught cursive in school.  In sixth grade we had a class every Friday dedicated to learning cursive.

We each paid $1.25 or $1.50 for a fountain pen. Our teacher, the wonderful Mrs.Graham, had a wooden block with holesdrilled in it Our pens were kept there when not in use. We took them home at the end of the year.

Sweet story and memory.
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@depglass wrote:

@depglass 

I know when I was in grade school we started learning cursive writing in the 2nd grade. Since we have no human kids, I have no idea what they teach to kids, and/or at what age.

What I do know is from experiencing some of the lack of knowledge when a young cashier has to use a calculator for very simple math. My bill is $3.05 and I hand the cashier a 5$ bill+ a nickel, and out comes the calculator.

Experienced a few other things such as non-digital time pieces, but my interactions with these younger generations is limited.

What I know is pretty much what I see and hear on the news. Had I grown up the way I see the "now" generations?  The word independent would be only a word I learned from hearing it, or from a dictionary.

hckynut 🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn 

Don't get me started on kids and adults that do not know how to count back change. When I was in high school I worked at Burger King and I was the casher at the drive thru window. The machine would just give you the total on the ticket and you would hang it up. When the car made it to your window, you would grab their ticket take their cash and use your head to count back the change. 

If the computer goes out many are confused on how to count back change.