Honored Contributor

I feel the same way.  I get a little sad when I think about certain things that no longer exist in my life. Though I haven't lost many friends yet and I still feel good (I'm 65)  I also worry a bit about the future.  My husband isn't well and I worry about where we will be, my grown kids, etc.

Yes time sure does go by fast and there are times when I think back at how I would do some things differently.  Yet at this point looking forward I tell myself that I hope I don't look back when I'm my mother's age (93) wishing I had traveled more.  I want us to see more of the world when we can considering some of DH's limitations.  I know I won't get to go everywhere I wish (cost is a big consideration) but if I don't plan for us to a few places now then when will we go?

Honored Contributor

The older you get, the faster time goes by!

I guess when you are young, you don't even consider time -- time is nothing -- it has no meaning.  It stretches before you endlessly.  Of course, you know, everyone knows, that time runs out and everhone dies, but when you have youth, that is something that does not enter your thoughts.

As the days ahead of you are shorter than the days behind you --- yes, it does enter your mind more and time just seems to slip through your fingers!  

You just want to say --- stop --- hold on --- slow down!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@WildFlowerUnicorn   You know, it seems that most replies are focusing on the losses we experiences as we age, but what about what we've gained?  I've gained so much more confidence in myself and my decision making abilities.  I've gained a wealth of knowledge which I'm often able to share with others, mostly young people who are thirsting for it.  I've gained a sense of accomplishment, and a feeling of comfort with myself and life in general.  I've gained more compassion for others, as I've become less focused on my own problems.

Yes, it's a little harder to straighten up when rising from bed, and muscle recovery after a workout, run, or bicycle ride takes longer, but thankfully I'm still able to do those things, and will continue as long as the Lord is willing!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I'm in my late 60's and I agree that the older I get, the faster time goes by.  I remember my mom said that once and I didn't understand what she meant but I certainly do now.  However, I don't feel your sense of sadness or melancholy.  It makes me want to do more and experience more in the coming years.  It makes me want to be the healthiest I can possibly be so that I can do more, accomplish more, see more in the 30 years or so.  I might feel differently 10 or 15 years because 60, even 65 is still middle age to me.  As get into my 70's, I might see the time thing differently.  

Respected Contributor

Last night my partner and I went out to dinner to celebrate 20 years together. Time has flown by. I feel like we just met yesterday! It doesn't seem like it was 20 years ago.  It is scary!  I hope we get another 20 more together.  I think as I get older I definitely have so much more confidence than when I was a ding dong twenty something. I know how to style myself, how to dress to look my best. I'm not shy like I once was.  In fact I'm very outgoing now. So some good things have come with older age. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Time goes so fast

[ Edited ]

Now we can understand the statement that was said to us long ago, youth is wasted on the young.

If only we were younger and know what we know now.

Every day, weeks, months, and years go by faster.  Memories linger, and shadows are present.

Yes there is time for every season, and everyone.

It is a clock we can not turn back.  I have a clock that runs backwards and there are just moments when I feel myself being envious of that darn clock, so silly to think that.

Auld Lang Syne is a favorite song.

No, not depressed, just old, wiser, contained in used parts and sometimes prefer to visit reality as a tourist.

Respected Contributor

@chiclets   If we knew what we know now when we were young, we wouldn't have had any friends!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@WildFlowerUnicorn  I feel your pain as I too feel like I am alone in this journey we call life.  I lost my mother in 2016 and my stepfather in 2018, my brother was killed in a car wreck in 1979, my real father passed when I was 13.  I have no children but I inherited my mother's west highland terrier and he is my best bud!  I try to get up each morning and thank God that I am able to put my own  feet on the floor!   I pray that you find new purpose  and contentment !

Honored Contributor

@WildFlowerUnicorn wrote:

now that i am 60 sometimes i just feel like things have gone by so fast, flown by actually. i wonder where all of the years went? i always read life is short and now at this age i am feeling kind of sad alot of times. so many family friends have died over the past 10 years and relatives. it makes me sad too. with my mom being gone too it makes me see how fast life goes. i get sad and meloncholy and sentimental.

am i the only one that this happens to.

@WildFlowerUnicorn 

As I have posted here before, once I found out that human beings have a 450 trillion chance in 1 of ever being born, I have realized that we who exist have already grabbed the brass ring, and I don’t think about aging anymore, and I am 81 and pretty sick.

I am grateful that I existed and because of me, my children and grandchildren exist, as will their progeny as well. That is the cycle of life.

At 60, you are a baby to me!  

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@WildFlowerUnicorn    I think about death a lot  more now at age 63.