Trusted Contributor

I usually do my house cleaning on Saturday mornings.  I'm trying to do it now, but just not in the mood.  Oh well, the sooner I get to it the sooner it will be done!

Misery loves company.....anyone else doing the same as me today?

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop  I know my answer is not for everyone, but years ago I got tired of spending my Saturdays either cleaning or feeling guilty because I wasn't cleaning! So I hired a bi-weekly housekeeper...best money I ever spent. I work full time (even now), so it was worth it to me to have my Saturdays completely free.

Esteemed Contributor

@vermint 

I have been thinking of doing that too. Since I suddenly got old..lol (82)  I wasn't feeling old then  I suddenly got so sick.  I just cannot find the strength to do it all anymore.

I really was considering it. Maybe after reading your post now i will. I'm just so tired I can't do it...sigh.

I don't know how I would feel about it though,it seems strange to me,I used to be independent ...lol 

What do you do while she is cleaning?

I have been very sick  and I just can't keep up with it all.

Funny,I was just in my basement and saw lots of dust clumps everywhere and thought I need someone to come sweep out this place too......lol

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma  I'm blessed to have someone I trust implicitly with a key to my home...she cleans while I'm at work! She used to work for a service that we used for our office, so when she went out on her own I hired her for my house. She also cleans our office, and has a key to that as well. If I do happen to be at home when she's there, I just stay in the living room watching TV til she gets ready to clean there, then I move to the bedroom.

I'm so sorry you've been sick! I'll keep you in my prayers and hope that you feel much better very soon!

Respected Contributor

When I worked I would always do all my house cleaning on Saturday morning.  But now that I’m retired I just do a little bit here and there all week long which is not as overwhelming to me.  Plus with just the two of us it’s much less to do now. 

Honored Contributor

My daughter is here from Denver (been here now over 4 months).

She has totally 'reorganized' my house, cleaned it and gotten rid of QVC stuff I've never even opened, etc.

She's leaving later in the week so we are down to the wire as far as getting a housekeeper (or whatever they're called).

I've agreed to having someone come in once a week to vacuum, dust but not much more.

I'm very independent but since I broke my back I've had to step back a little.  I'm still in tremendous pain.

I quit work when my (now) 47 year old daughter was born.  

My late husband used to tell me I should hire a housekeeper but I'd say, "I don't work.  Keeping the house and taking care of our girls IS my job".  I'd feel useless.

I think I'm still in that mold.  I know some of you understand how frustrating it is when there have been some major changes in our lives due to age and medical issues.

I have always enjoyed coming here to QVC because I feel like I'm surrounded with "like" women.  

As I say that, I also love the fact that as similar we are is how different we are.  I've learned so much from everyone here.

So.....(I know..finally) seeing that some of you have housekeepers makes me feel a little better about hiring one.

I'm still active and do most things myself.  I do hate (like the original poster) to vacuum and dust.  My back says no, no to the twisting of the vacuum.

Thanks again all of you sweet ladies.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@vermint 

I have been thinking of doing that too. Since I suddenly got old..lol (82)  I wasn't feeling old then  I suddenly got so sick.  I just cannot find the strength to do it all anymore.

I really was considering it. Maybe after reading your post now i will. I'm just so tired I can't do it...sigh.

I don't know how I would feel about it though,it seems strange to me,I used to be independent ...lol 

What do you do while she is cleaning?

I have been very sick  and I just can't keep up with it all.

Funny,I was just in my basement and saw lots of dust clumps everywhere and thought I need someone to come sweep out this place too......lol

@MalteseMomma What do you do while she is cleaning?  NOT clean!  Anything you want to do.  You are paying her, she is working.  Don't get to know her personally, don't sit and talk with her or have tea, she is working.

Respect that she works, and most of all respect that you are paying her.  Be a good boss, don't interfere with her but make sure she understands what you want/need done and how to do it, what products to use, etc.  

Have little special projects for days when the house is not as messy, be respectful of her, but on her first visit have a list and a copy for her and you to keep, go through it and be on the same wavelength. 

The housekeeper is being paid, she is your employee, so be a good boss, be fair, but fire her if she doesn't work out.  You just give her an extra weeks pay and say, you've been great but I'm going to have to stop for now.  THank you and here's something extra.

And get someone else who will do the work if this one doesn't.   You are doing a good thing to give someone a job!  

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop   I also did cleaning on Sat. or Sun. mornings when I worked.  If DH had the day off he did the heavy stuff.

When my hip got bad it got harder to do especially the floors, so he did those.

I got a brand new hip but my opposite knee went and I needed that replaced.

I got the new knee 6 months after DH died.  It doesn't hurt anymore but I still have trouble walking.

I hired someone last year, it cost an arm and a leg and I wasn't over impressed.

Now, I do what I can and my DD does the heavy cleaning.

Honored Contributor

My plans are to clean today and so far I have done laundry and watched Criminal Minds LOL, plus looking around online. I cant seem to focus on what I need to do.Man Frustrated

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

@vermint 

Like you, I had someone cleaning my home every 2 weeks when I worked.  Thankfully, I could continue to afford to have it done when I retired.

However, in March, we both decided to put it on hold and I've been doing it myself.

Cannot say I enjoy it, but I don't forsee a time when I will feel comfortable having someone come into my home again.