Respected Contributor

Re: Those Over 60: What makes you *feel good* about yourself?

@blackhole99.....I did not have a "normal" childhood either. It wasn't Leave It To Beaver, that is for sure. My entire life has been abnormal, so I don't know what "normal" is. I just wing it day by day, and it has gotten me this far. Cat Wink

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Contributor

So I just turned 62, and I do  not like this phase of my life.  I was my most happiest in my 30s and 40s bringing up my son and daughter, having my mother alive who was available with great advice.  I had loads of girlfriends who I saw weekly with their kids.  I worked part time, and we traveled as a family on fun trips.  With the kids now in their 30s and gone, things are so different .  Neither one of my kids are even dating, never mind grandchildren.  Former friends are involved with their grandchildren as it should be. I realize friendships ebb and flow, but I’m down to one best friend, and loads of acquaintances at work.   And I suppose I should be happy with that.   Millennials at work (Library) think I should retire already. My husband  and I love to travel, and are healthy enough.

So I should be reasonably content, but I’m not.....

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@AbbyKwrote:

So I just turned 62, and I do  not like this phase of my life.  I was my most happiest in my 30s and 40s bringing up my son and daughter, having my mother alive who was available with great advice.  I had loads of girlfriends who I saw weekly with their kids.  I worked part time, and we traveled as a family on fun trips.  With the kids now in their 30s and gone, things are so different .  Neither one of my kids are even dating, never mind grandchildren.  Former friends are involved with their grandchildren as it should be. I realize friendships ebb and flow, but I’m down to one best friend, and loads of acquaintances at work.   And I suppose I should be happy with that.   Millennials at work (Library) think I should retire already. My husband  and I love to travel, and are healthy enough.

So I should be reasonably content, but I’m not.....

@AbbyK....you are still young and at what I call the transitional age. You have many life changes ahead of you. Try to keep a positive outlook. Be thankful that you are healthy. Perhaps travel is in your future. Smiley Happy 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

I will be 84 in October. I've been blessed with good health, a great husband, four successful children and my 7 grandchildren ranging from ages 22 to 2. My closets overflow with wonderflu outfits, I have a nice home here in Florida. All of these things would have been beyond my wildest dreams as a young single working girl. It has been a great ride for sure. 

Honored Contributor

I lived through a wicked childhood, diagnosed with diabetes in my teens, cancer in my 30's and 2 heart attacks in the past two years..yet I endure. I am one tough cookie. LOL..and I never lost my sense of humor through all of it.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

I lived through a wicked childhood, diagnosed with diabetes in my teens, cancer in my 30's and 2 heart attacks in the past two years..yet I endure. I am one tough cookie. LOL..and I never lost my sense of humor through all of it.

@Trinity11...I have followed you on these boards the past couple years and know you have been through a lot. YES, you ARE one tough cookie, and don't you forget it. You go girl. Heart

Trusted Contributor

@AbbyK I sincerely hope this gets better for you. 🌞

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 I respect tough cookies! 👏

Honored Contributor

i think that I am still alive and have a wonderful husband and my sweet grand children. I may not have a lot to offer but I try to be a good person.

Super Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

You go girl!! You are AMAZING!!!!