Trusted Contributor

Those Over 60: What makes you *feel good* about yourself?

Hi, Over-60ites! Dear fellow (gal) babyboomers. We who are over 60 -- and maybe over 65...WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF?

Has this answer changed with the years?

What do you feel is the importance of your life?

What philosophies have you adopted?

Care to share your musings?  I care to read all of them.

Heart Woman Happy

-Solar1 

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

Re: Those Over 60: What makes you *feel good* about yourself?

That at 67 I'm still above ground, not really, I was always a wild child. Live and let live and treat others as you want to be treated. I would not change anything about my adult life, marrying the man of my dreams and raising a wonderful son is what's most important to me. I wish I would have had parents who didn't put themselves first, it would have been nice to not have been neglected and experience a normal childhood.

Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name@blackhole99

Who ever had a normal childhood?

My philosophy now is not to sweat the small stuff.

Pick my battles.

Luckily, I did choose a wonderful guy for my husband. We raised a great girl.

We have a great DSIL.

We have wonderful DGCs.

Life has its ups and downs...learn to live with it (telling myself)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

There are several things that I feel good about:

- I don’t look my age.

- I’m in good health.

- For the last 37 years I’ve been married to my best friend & the love of my life.

- I have a wonderful son who has never given me any worries & makes me proud everyday.

I feel so blessed!!

Honored Contributor

@LTT1oh, so your parents neglected you too. Since when is it normal to neglect your children, or am I reading something into your post that isn't there? I do know there are children who have loving parents who do care for their physical and emotional needs. To me that's a normal childhood.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel good that I lost 12 pounds, going for more, I think my goal will be 110 now.  Just a few more to lose.  I am going to be 78 in April and feel great!  I have two beautiful grand girls 20 mo. now that I babysit about 3 or 4 days a week, and they love me!!  That I can handle this, makes me feel good about myself/

Esteemed Contributor

Hope to retire in 2020. What makes me feel good is being happy and feeling at peace. It's that simple for me. 

Like most people, I have some daily challenges that could easily get in the way of my happiness. It's a good day when I'm able to keep my wits about me -- smile.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I, too, was a wild child, so am surprised I made it to 65. My next goal is 70, and I'm almost half way there. Smiley Happy

What makes me feel good about myself is that I'm still slim and trim, look much younger than my age, am in good health, and am not on any medications.

I don't know why I am here other than to be a caregiver. I don't feel that I serve any other purpose.

As far as philosophies, I just take one day at a time. Making future plans has brought too many disappointments over the years.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

If I fall, I can still get up.

Honored Contributor

I never stopped to think about it ..... I generally feel good about myself all the time.