Trusted Contributor

Re: There's a Dove cooing outside. Love that sound.

I love the sound of all birds.  Lately I have been getting up at 5 AM (dog needs to go out so I try to stay up).  It's so peaceful at that time.  The birds are chirping, and the sound of the waterfall from our pond is so much clearer without all the background noise.  This is really cool ~ one of our neighbors has a 5-year-old girl that has been asking and asking to come and see our yard.  She came by today and the minute she walked in her mouth opened and all she said was 'WOW!  I could stay here forever!'  I thought that was so flattering to have a small child make a comment like that.  :-) 

Trusted Contributor

I looked up our doves that visit, because they look a little different, and found out they're Eurasian Collared Doves that were accidentally introduced to the Bahamas in 1974 and the last decade have been in the Pacific NW. Has anyone else seen these?

Darn, I can't get a picture to post, they have half a collar looking neck and are big.

Respected Contributor

@Julie928

Your yard sounds wonderful ! Like a secret garden kind of magical place. To have a child so enchanted by it is a compliment for sure ! Don't you love having such a beautiful spot to enjoy ? 

I get similar comments on my back yard too. One day I heard a little voice and looking around I saw a little boy and  his mom I think, he said to her " look...if you stand right here you can kind of see how cool their back yard is ". (:

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the sound of seagulls when down by the sound....or the geese when they fly over in the shape of a "V"............

as for non animal sounds.....one weird sound that relaxes

me is the sound of my dishwasher running...haha.. hearing the water swish and swish.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feed the bird from my deck off my kitchen (2nd floor up on my townhouse).  I get a number of dovers and just love them!  (Although, I have to admit, sometimes they seem to be not the brightest bulb on the block!  But soooo sweet).  One day last week I looked out at my makeshift birdbath.  Lo and behold, there was a pure white dove there!  I checked out as best I could and detrmined it was either a white dove or an albino dove.  Wish I could have gotten closer, but was afraid of scaring him off.  Beautiful!

Forgot to add...could have been a white pigeon, I believe. But a beautiful bird, whatever it was!  Hope it will come back one day!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I love all bird sounds, but they start their chirping at 5:40 a.m. every morning - have to close my window they are so loud.  Do love the sound of the sandhill crane way up in the sky - a sound like no other. 

@hoosieroriginal, if the birds in your neighborhood start singing at 5:40 am, you're lucky!  We have mockingbirds here, and as a general rule they start singing well before a speck of daylight reveals the horizon.  In fact, they sometimes start their songs at 11:30 pm and continue all night long.  Of course, the night is quiet, they sing from the highest perch in the area (i.e., rooftop antennas, very tall tree tops), and their songs are very, very loud.  I love hearing them during the day, but the nocturnal concerts are a bit much!

Respected Contributor

I don't mind them if they're nesting out in trees & away from my house, but it's a constant battle to keep them from nesting on my house, including trying to build a nest on top of my porch light (they're cute, but not very bright!)! 

I don't enjoy the loud mating cooing on my patio right outside my bedroom at 6am either!  I live in Tucson, & I have 3 types of doves here: Mourning Dove, the larger White Winged Dove & small Inca Dove.  The Mourning & White Winged are the ones I have the most trouble with. 

I'm not a cooing dove fan!  lol

Honored Contributor

We have a lot of tropical birds calling both day and night. I love when it is cool enough to have the windows open so we can hear them - except those dang sandhill cranes. They have the most awful squack - beautiful birds , but that noise ! OY.