Honored Contributor

The guilt and inconvenience of not recycling

Stuff is piling up around here, bags and boxes full.  It is so hard to hit hours at St. Vincent's two local stores when they are accepting merchandise. The grocery stores still have the "one in the room at a time" rule to return cans.  People are lined up with full grocery carts full of cans.  The libraries have appointment only hours and are not accepting used books like normal. Every one is in the same boat as I am. The only thing with no backup is the local dump.  Many people are just giving up and tossing things.   

Honored Contributor

Re: The guilt and inconvenience of not recycling

Nope, I live in small town America and just about nothing has changed where I live. Stores are open, recycling is open, resale shops are open, libraries are open.Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Last night I made the decision to give up.  I have a Dyson vac and Samsonite 5 pc card table set w/padded seats and back.  The Mission still have not put pick-up trucks back on the road - so I put them out at the curb yesterday for neighbors if interested.  Not One sign of interest.

So.......I'm adding to my pile for a hired junk truck.  I think people  are so scared of the virus the don't want to touch anything used.

I say............junk it all

Don't see a change in attitude any time soon.

Respected Contributor

I've been able to donate my old living room set to a thrift store that benefits animals.  They also picked it up which was beyond great and the two young men who took it were very nice.  I also donated a bunch of clothing of never worn items...brand new.  They took it, no problem.  

Respected Contributor

Haven't checked elsewhere, but my local Goodwill donation station is open and busy.  There are always cars in the drive through being unloaded. I'm preparing some items to deliver this week.  

Honored Contributor

Around here the thrift stores are open.  I finally took several items that had been sitting in the sunroom since before Thanksgiving.  We have recycling bins and they come by once a month for those.  My only complaint is that they chnged companies and the new one only accepts plastic bottles with small necks, so a lot of my plastics they won't recycle.  My Publix has some recycling bins outside the store for things like the foam egg cartons and plastics. I'm not sure if they don't want the wide-mouth jars or not, so I put them in there as well as any plastic egg cartons I have.  I never get foam egg cartons because I only buy free-range or pastured eggs and they never come in foam containers. 

Honored Contributor

Except for theaters...restaurants...most everything is open and running normally where I live. 

Respected Contributor

Our city picks up our grocery recyclables, paper and cardboard.

Dropped off items at Goodwill last week. No lines. 

Honored Contributor

Most things are running as normal where I live...except Walmart still not accepting the plastic bags.  I might have to just throw them away.

Honored Contributor

In NY we have to pay  5 cent deposit on bottles, cans, etc.  In order to get that back you have to return all of them to the store where they have bottle return, put them thru a machine and get your money back. This is where there are lines if only one person is allowed in at a time. Not supposed to put  in your recycle bin to be picked up by the town.