Honored Contributor

Re: The Bee Hive – Autumn 2020 Edition

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

image.png

@just bee 

Some of these are just downright creepy.

Glad I don't have to work or live in that building!  Gives me the shivers...

@geezerette 

See, I look at murals like this and think: This is precisely what we need here in New Mexico.  Where are the artists?

We have miles of dull retaining wall and acres of tan boxes for homes and businesses.  Can't we have a little bit of something else to look at?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@just bee wrote:

image.png

Yes, even more. My 16 year old TrailBlazer stranded me at Costco in early September. I had to have it towed and it sat for a few days waiting for repairs. In the meanwhile, I started looking online for a "new" car. I found a 2019 Certified Pre-Owned Dodge Charger with 2,950 miles. I got it on Sept. 9, and so far I've driven about 148 miles. (We mostly use S/O's truck when we go out).

@Eager2Learn 

I know some (if not all) of the insurance companies are giving us refunds because they know we aren't driving.

Wow.  That's pretty low mileage for a 2019 Charger! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@MeriH wrote:

@just bee 

That's so funny! 

I too have everything on my phone, the funny thing is I buy planners every, every year intent on using them. I love the idea of them but don't keep up with it but can keep my phone calendar...lol

I live with two phones M-F as I have clients who call me that took a little getting use to.

@MeriH 

I still keep a paper calendar in my work bag.  I had saved all my calendars over the years but tossed them after the fire -- along with my collection of journals.

The downside of paper, I guess.

@MeriH 

@just bee 

I'm a paper person.  I just can't get into putting everything online.  And frankly, I'm paranoid about it.  

I carry my phone, but I also always carry a pocket calendar in my purse.  In fact, I carry a larger purse than I'd like just to accommodate that calendar.

I also use a paper wall calendar.  In fact, I use several.  I have them dating back probably 30 or more years.  They're like a diary of all the big and small happenings in my life over those years.  My sisters do the same thing. We got it from my mother.  When she died, we had quite a few laughs and tears going through them.

@geezerette 

And that's why I kept my calendars... and that's why I felt bad when I had to toss them.

They were useful.  When did we get the new water heater?  Hmm, I don't know -- lemme check my calendars.  When did we go to that concert/play/party/ball game/funeral/wedding...?  I don't know -- lemme check my calendars.

Now my past is almost a complete mystery.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, I got another box of books out. Being brutal about what I will read and what I wont and what I want to keep around.  Also, decluttered other misc things.  I am trying not to be hasty but this looming shutdown is making me act as much as time allows. I dont know if we are going into another shutdown like we did early this year but it sure is looking that way.  We already got the first wave of time closures for businesses. I just hope that is it but as hospitals are being filled to capacity around here, it is hard to think another set of restrictions arent coming.  

I cannot believe that visiting nurses are backed up. They have a shortage of nurses and they are even offering a sign up bonus and getting no takers. I dont blame people at all but it hard not to feel discouraged at the state we are in.  We are all just going to implode. Is the plan working? 

Anyway, nothing exciting going on here, just plugging along. 

@aprilskies - Well, you're further along than me. I haven't been decluttering a darn thing lately. The only things that have left my house are obvious trash like plastic bags, magazines/catalogs, cardboard boxes, or things that have broken or been outgrown. And most of the broken/outgrown items end up being replaced.

It's even more difficult now to keep up with the house because the kids are back to virtual learning and home all day. They only had one marking period, 2 months, where they were actually in the classroom. They're never going to learn anything at this rate. 

We've already had some specific sectors of our economy completely shut back down again. Businesses are dying, people are losing their jobs and there is no help out there. I know that our hospital is very busy too and that the nurses are getting tired. I'm grateful that I'm not working on the floors right now. But destroying the lives of thousands of people not affected by the virus isn't the answer either. Supposedly it's only for 3 weeks, but I don't believe that for a second either. It's all extremely sad and disappointing. 

@rnmom 

@aprilskies 

This is what I'm seeing at work.  When I have a minor patient I always ask about school.  I ask how school is going, what grade they're in, what school they attend and what their favorite and least favorite subjects are.  This state already has a big problem with education.  Our school system is substandard and we can barely get kids to graduate.

So many of my patients have just stopped participating.  Even though most of them are on their phones all day and all night and are probably even more tech savvy than you or I, they are failing their online classes.  Some have just stopped the process.  Essentially, they have dropped out of school.

Another issue as we approach the holiday season.  Patients who had been admitted to the inpatient units and then discharged are coming right back to the hospital.  Why?  It's not because they're psychotic.  They're lonely.  Lonely!  And they'd rather be in the hospital where there are other people -- even if those people are ill and dangerous -- than be home alone.

Addiction and suicidal patients?  Bad before, even worse now.  People with no psych history are losing their jobs, their businesses, their homes.  Now they're in a psych hospital.

I can't speak for all my patients, but if I were facing losing my business and my home or facing a virus, I'd take the virus.

@rnmom 

@just bee 

When school started back up again this past fall, my youngest great-nephew was given a choice by his school to either go in person or virtually.  His mother (my niece) wanted him to go in person not only because this is his senior year in high school, but also because she felt he has the type of personality that needs in person learning and discipline.  However, she left the choice up to him.  He chose virtual.  His reasoning was that he didn't want to have to transition in case they were forced to close down again.  It looks like he was smarter than his mother gave him credit for.

That same niece always hosts Thanksgiving dinner for her parents (my sister and brother-in-law) and her in-laws.  This year she decided to keep their celebration much smaller and invited only her parents.  However, because the other grandson will be coming home from U of M, my sister said they wouldn't be coming, as they both are considered high risk.  But they'd gladly take the turkey "care package" meal that their son-in-law offered!😄👍

@just bee , our school situation is pretty much the same as yours.  We're always at the bottom of any education list under normal circumstances.  I shudder to think about what this will do to so many of our young people.  Not to mention what will happen to so many of their parents, many of whom work in or own small businesses that are suffering.  One of the biggest reasons (besides philosophical) that the state is resisting shutting everything down.

But this truly is a "d@mned if you do, d@mned if you don't" situation.  I really feel for government officials and medical personnel.  I'd hate to have to make some of the decisions they are forced to right now.

@geezerette 

And, to be fair, this is a valid point.  Something I wish all of us could keep in mind.

It's frustrating, though, when decisions are made and we aren't told why.  When something doesn't seem to make any sense but we're told it does but not told why, you can understand the discomfort.

Like my coworkers.  One guy wipes off his shoes very carefully at the end of the shift, but then he walks -- on the hospital floor, of course -- before he leaves the building.  Many of the nurses say they get home and strip off their clothes when they get inside the garage and they launder them right away.  Did you also sterilize the inside of the car you were in when you drove home?  Doubt that.

I remember last year when we were told to wash our outerwear daily.  Wash your coat daily.  No.  That doesn't work for me.  Sorry.

Everybody talks about "having a conversation" but nobody's doing that.

Honored Contributor

image.png

And now I'm watching another favorite: There Will Be Blood.

There should be classes devoted to this film.  It's like a text book for every aspect of filmmaking.

Incredible soundtrack.  I still marvel at Daniel Day-Lewis.  

Better get back to it...

Frequent Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@MeriH wrote:

@just bee 

That's so funny! 

I too have everything on my phone, the funny thing is I buy planners every, every year intent on using them. I love the idea of them but don't keep up with it but can keep my phone calendar...lol

I live with two phones M-F as I have clients who call me that took a little getting use to.

@MeriH 

I still keep a paper calendar in my work bag.  I had saved all my calendars over the years but tossed them after the fire -- along with my collection of journals.

The downside of paper, I guess.

@MeriH 

@just bee 

I'm a paper person.  I just can't get into putting everything online.  And frankly, I'm paranoid about it.  

I carry my phone, but I also always carry a pocket calendar in my purse.  In fact, I carry a larger purse than I'd like just to accommodate that calendar.

I also use a paper wall calendar.  In fact, I use several.  I have them dating back probably 30 or more years.  They're like a diary of all the big and small happenings in my life over those years.  My sisters do the same thing. We got it from my mother.  When she died, we had quite a few laughs and tears going through them.

@geezerette 

The diary aspect is exactly what draws me to the idea but for the life of me I can't get myself into the habit of using paper.

Honored Contributor

image.png

Honored Contributor

image.png

Honored Contributor

image.png

Honored Contributor

hello all

not much tonight. 

Just a simple day, same ol stuff

chores, walks, fold clothes, dh made scratch home made mac/cheese tonight. It was delicious

not much else guys. Tomorrow