Trusted Contributor

Re: Taking forever to get over the flu!

@granddi  Just finished my last does of Tamiflu.  I'm good now.  It worked for me but I also had a mild case of the flu.  Maybe I caught it early?  I had the capsule version.  

Regular Contributor

We began feeling sick on 12-20, were sick over Christmas and New Years and the one thing that is STILL hanging on is the cough! Hacking and coughing and  noses pouring. Ugh!

Trusted Contributor

@KG60 We started getting sick around New Years Eve....Still miserable.   My husband has a cough and  I have  the stuffed up head and nose blowing.  Yuck....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

It's been well over 2 weeks that I came down with a bad case of the flu. I thought I'd fully recovered in about a week....but the coughing just hangs on! I haven't regained my full energy level either, but I'm grateful to be MUCH better. Anybody else have experience getting the flu and it lasting longer than you expected? If you've had the flu (type A in my case), how long did it take you to have a 100% recovery? 

@Goldengate8361 ... l just wrote 3 paragraphs and I don't know what happened to it!

I've had the flu twice while l was working 20 years ago. Real bad cases. Out of work 4 weeks each time! Really bad body aches and very, very weak. Don't remember if l coughed.

When l had it the second time my boss called me in to do a short report to send to Albany. This was during week 3 that I was out. Office on third floor. Elevator on opposite side of the building so walked up the stairs. I barely made it. Walked into office and boss was talking to some people. She looked at me and said... You're as white as a ghost!! Did report and went home. Was out for another week.  

Haven't had the flu since then and l get the flu vaccine every Fall. Feel better soon! 

Regular Contributor

Did you test for Covid? Could be a combo-

Feel better!!!

Valued Contributor

I read that they're re dubbing it the 100 day cough because it seems to linger and linger.

Respected Contributor

My husband got a bad cold first. His lasted about 4 days. Tested for Covid-negative. Lots of coughing and nose blowing, tiredness.  I was good for a while, then I caught his cold.  Same thing only more horse coughing for me.  Just beginning to feel better today.  Thank God we had the flu shot.  It would have been a lot worse if we hadn't.

Respected Contributor

I came down with the flu on Christmas night, fever, chills, headaches and head congestion and felt like a truck had run over me.  I slept for most of the day before I went to the doctor.  He tested me for covid and flu.  Flu won out and he prescribed Tamiflu.....it worked after 5 days but the cough and congestion is still with me (not as bad).  Good luck

Trusted Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

I read that they're re dubbing it the 100 day cough because it seems to linger and linger.

@Carol Diane ... You said they're re-dubbing the FLU ??? the 100-day-cough?? I had whooping cough a few years ago and they called that the 100-day-cough because that's how long you had the cough...but l never heard the flu called that. Do you recall where you read that?

Honored Contributor

Hope you all are feeling better very soon!!