Regular Contributor

Does anyone have a particular cell phone company that they would recommend?

Regular Contributor

Re: Switching Phone Companies

Consumer Cellular hands down. Order directly from them.

With fees my husband and I pay $58/month, unlimited talk, text and plenty of data (I forget off hand how much we have).

my mom moved to assisted living and it was my task to close out her Verizon account. I cannot tell you how much aggravation they are to deal with. They sent me a refund check, realized they sent it to the wrong address, voided it without telling me. I got the check, deposited it, the bank returned it and charged me $12 as a return check fee. Of course, not the banks fault. Verizon insisted they never sent me the voided check. So now I have to jump through hoops to get this straightened out.

Respected Contributor

Some carriers do really well in one area and have no coverage in another. You might hear people in one city give glowing reviews about a mobile carrier your friend in your city all hate.

If you spend most of your time in one location, it's best to get recommendations from locals. If you travel often, I'd also ask around in the areas where you travel most often. People have also noticed better service with one type of phone over another, so that's something else to take into consideration.

Trusted Contributor

I use Straight Talk. $45 for unlimited usage although they might slow stuff down a little if you go over a certain amount of internet usage. I've honestly never noticed a problem. There is I think a $55 plan if you have tons of useage but I haven't found a need for it.

You can bring your own phone if you want. I like them because when I do feel like upgrading my phone there's usually a Samsung android that's like one level down from the newest software for about $99. They have the new updated phones too but I refuse to pay tons for a phone.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been a Verizon customer for years. I can make calls and receive them without a problem.

I would suggest you look online for information about the top three cell phone providers, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. Sprint does not work well where I live.

I like a YouTuber Stetson Doggett. He discusses discount cell phone plans on his channel.

If you buy an iPhone or a Samsung flagship product. I would using a major provider, or their Prepaid network. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm with Xfinity Mobile. As low as $12/month +fees & taxes. It's only available to their internet customers. Their phones run on Verizon's network.

Honored Contributor

i have used ATT for almost 20 years now and i am very happy with the unlimited service i receive.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I've had Verizon ever since I got my first cell phone, and I've been very happy.  They reward customers for loyalty, and when I needed a new phone last year I got it at a great price because I've been a customer for such a long time.

Coverage is fine, depending, of course on where you are.  I had a friend move back to England, and she gave me her phone.  I got far worse service from her carrier than from Verizon.

CS is not as good as it used to be, but still very good.  I called a couple of months ago with a random question, and the rep noticed that there was a better plan that cost less money, and switched me over.

Obviously everyone's experience is different, but I've been a fan of Verizon for a long time, and have had no reason to switch.