Esteemed Contributor

My husband's shoulder surgery is postponed til the 14th. He drank a cup of coffee with cream at 4am and we were to be at hospital at 5:30. He thought it would be ok. Well,no. He was all gowned up, etc. They told us no luquids but apparently we aren't too sharp at 4am.

Just wanted to thank you all for kind words.Keep them for us til the 14th. 💞

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

How disappointing.  You'll be prepared next time.  My mother had to recently fast for blood work.  I was talking with her before she left.  She mentioned she was drinking coffee.  She was shocked when I told her she couldn't drink it.

Honored Contributor

Same thing happened to my Mom.

Honored Contributor

That must be terribly disappointing but don't feel bad, you'd be surprised at how often surgical patients blank out and do that.  The 14th isn't far off and you'll have funny story to tell once he has had that surgery.

Respected Contributor

Doesn't anybody listein to instructions ??   This is standard operating

procedure for any sugery ....When they say no eating or drinking why

do people think it is a joke ....no sympathy ....hope they charge you

something for the wasted time of staff and hospital ....

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

Well, everyone can't be as a perfect as you are.  You can't spell, so it appears YOU aren't so perfect either.

Super Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Big Joanie wrote:

Well, everyone can't be as a perfect as you are.  You can't spell, so it appears YOU aren't so perfect either.

Lol !

Esteemed Contributor

It's very important to follow instructions exactly. Years ago, my daughter was having hand surgery and we went to the pediatric surgical center. While in the waiting room, a woman with a baby was called in. As they walked past us, the nurse asked if the baby had nothing to eat or drink past midnight. The mother said, "Nothing but a little apple juice this morning." They were sent home immediately. 

A friend of mine did something really absurd. She went for a colonoscopy. Most people know about the awful prep. My friend followed the instructions, but when she was done she took Imodium. When she told the doctor, she got he££ from him. Her answer, as she told the story to me was, "Nobody told me I couldn't take it." I was speechless.

Honored Contributor

Many anesthetists have relaxed the no liquids after midnight for elective surgery and instead allow liquids up to two hours before.

This rule was initiated in the 60's because the anesthesia used back then caused vomiting.  If this got into the lungs, often the patient got pneumonia.  With today's better anesthesia this is a rare occurrence.

Many surgeries are preformed with a full stomach with no adverse affects, especially after an accident.

Soon, the midnight rule will be only used very rarely.  There is really no need to go without liquids that long for most people.

Esteemed Contributor

As @Carmie said, the reason doctors don't want people to anything in their stomachs, is because they don't want the patient to possibly vomit, and asperate the vomit in to the lungs, and get pneumonia.

When my dad had his surgeries, the doctors told him that he could take his daily meds, with the tiniest sip of water.