Honored Contributor

Re: Summer is arriving at the BACK FENCE this June 2017

I'm leaving an orange buttermilk cake for a snack.  Today is my eldest 'son's birthday.  Seeing as I was there when he and his sister emerged from the eggs, I think calling him son is appropriate.

My beloved Poppi is 12 years old today.

Image result for orange buttermilk cake

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I'm leaving an orange buttermilk cake for a snack.  Today is my eldest 'son's birthday.  Seeing as I was there when he and his sister emerged from the eggs, I think calling him son is appropriate.

My beloved Poppi is 12 years old today.

Image result for orange buttermilk cake

@Bird mama

Happy Birthday, Poppi Smiley Happy

Image result for birds quotes images

Honored Contributor

oooh @mousiegirl  that brought tears to my eyes

Respected Contributor

Bernie, so I guess Poppi is ready for another year of absolute content with her Mama. Bet that little feathered one is a jewel to have around. I know she must have had a great BD.

Very cool this morning. DO HOPE it is a sign to come. The past two weeks have been absolutely horrific and i cannot remember it ever being so hot in June - just does not happen. Well it sure did this year. Even little kids were bothered by it. I give the parents credit however. DID NOT SEE ANY KIDS OUT AND ABOUT PAST COUPLE WEEKS - smart parents. Also very few teenagers either. Wow.

I just finished my cup of coffee - may have another one. Little girl is sound asleep - GOOD - and she struggled to get to sleep last night. Occasionally she does have some problems crashing - you use to be able to set your clock on her going beddy bye. Interesting. Her eating has also been a bit off and am sure that has been due to the extremely hot weather. Day before yesterday I took her out about 1 and let her play in the big sprinkler ball for about 20 minutes. Put it under a tree and she had a ball - would not have done that any later even in the water. You connect a hose to a huge ball which has these openings and turn the water on and it spews out in four places. She really liked it. To tell the truth I could not have stayed out there any longer - whew but she was nice and cool playing in that water. Also served a purpose of watering the ground and few weeds. (Still just get so upset looking at these once gorgeous lawns - no such thing).  Has not been out again but may do it today since the heat is not as bad and am sure she will love it. Have so much fun watching her enjoy life at her level.

Bringing some cinnamon and raisin bagels - so good. Also some cream cheese - dig in!

Have a great day one and all.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Bernie, so I guess Poppi is ready for another year of absolute content with her Mama. Bet that little feathered one is a jewel to have around. I know she must have had a great BD.

Very cool this morning. DO HOPE it is a sign to come. The past two weeks have been absolutely horrific and i cannot remember it ever being so hot in June - just does not happen. Well it sure did this year. Even little kids were bothered by it. I give the parents credit however. DID NOT SEE ANY KIDS OUT AND ABOUT PAST COUPLE WEEKS - smart parents. Also very few teenagers either. Wow.

I just finished my cup of coffee - may have another one. Little girl is sound asleep - GOOD - and she struggled to get to sleep last night. Occasionally she does have some problems crashing - you use to be able to set your clock on her going beddy bye. Interesting. Her eating has also been a bit off and am sure that has been due to the extremely hot weather. Day before yesterday I took her out about 1 and let her play in the big sprinkler ball for about 20 minutes. Put it under a tree and she had a ball - would not have done that any later even in the water. You connect a hose to a huge ball which has these openings and turn the water on and it spews out in four places. She really liked it. To tell the truth I could not have stayed out there any longer - whew but she was nice and cool playing in that water. Also served a purpose of watering the ground and few weeds. (Still just get so upset looking at these once gorgeous lawns - no such thing).  Has not been out again but may do it today since the heat is not as bad and am sure she will love it. Have so much fun watching her enjoy life at her level.

Bringing some cinnamon and raisin bagels - so good. Also some cream cheese - dig in!

Have a great day one and all.

@Winifred  I had a huge hose attachment with four arms similar to what you mentioned, and on hot early evenings I would set it up and she would play in the water and get muddy, then into the bathtub, lol.  Last week, I donated this, would ahve kept it for use later on, maybe, but it was so large and we have run out of storage room.  

I also had a child's hard plastic pool, and one morning on the bottom of it we saw raccoon prints. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm back to work today.  Grayson, the pigeon really doesn't like when I leave him after being home for several days.  He sits on my foot or grabs my pant leg.  Love that silly bird.

It's cooler here today and I hope we get some rain later.  We've been getting l5 minutes of rain here and there -  a good overnight soaking would be welcome.

Honored Contributor

I had an interesting experience last night.  When Grayson joined my flock in 2009, I bought him an Anchor Hocking 9x13 glass baking dish as a bath tub.  This dish has never been subjected to extreme temps in all the time I've had it.

The tub is left out for him daily on a beach towel.  He decides to bathe on whatever day that it moves him.

Yesterday he didn't take a bath, but I washed the dish out of habit.  I was holding each end handle and was rinsing it and the bottom edge bumped by Swanstone kitchen sink and exploded.

Glass chunks and shards flew everywhere, including my hands and wrists.  I stood there, stunned and blood was running everywhere.

I must have wiped the floor with damp paper towel at least 1/2 a dozen times to make sure there was nothing on the floor.

This morning I felt kind of bad for him.  I said, ummm Mama broke your tub last night but I have a temporary replacement.  It was one of my old corningware french white casserole dishes (so old it was made in the USA).

I put him in it while it was empty and said, look it might be a little cramped (lol) but use this today until I can get you a new proper tub on the way home from work.

I added warm water and it remains to be seen if he will give it a try.

I think I will be 2 new 9x13 glass baking dishes tonight.  This way I will have a spare in the event another one explodes like that.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I had an interesting experience last night.  When Grayson joined my flock in 2009, I bought him an Anchor Hocking 9x13 glass baking dish as a bath tub.  This dish has never been subjected to extreme temps in all the time I've had it.

The tub is left out for him daily on a beach towel.  He decides to bathe on whatever day that it moves him.

Yesterday he didn't take a bath, but I washed the dish out of habit.  I was holding each end handle and was rinsing it and the bottom edge bumped by Swanstone kitchen sink and exploded.

Glass chunks and shards flew everywhere, including my hands and wrists.  I stood there, stunned and blood was running everywhere.

I must have wiped the floor with damp paper towel at least 1/2 a dozen times to make sure there was nothing on the floor.

This morning I felt kind of bad for him.  I said, ummm Mama broke your tub last night but I have a temporary replacement.  It was one of my old corningware french white casserole dishes (so old it was made in the USA).

I put him in it while it was empty and said, look it might be a little cramped (lol) but use this today until I can get you a new proper tub on the way home from work.

I added warm water and it remains to be seen if he will give it a try.

I think I will be 2 new 9x13 glass baking dishes tonight.  This way I will have a spare in the event another one explodes like that.

@Bird mama  That is shocking.  I have pyrex glass bakers since I first set up housekeeping, even some my Mother had.  I wonder what the company wuld say to this.They muist not being made as well as they used to be.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  I can tell you from experience that pyrex measuring cups aren't made like what my Ma and Grandma had.  I've broken a couple of those in a short time and it's not like I even cook alot, lol.

Grayson's tub was Anchor Hocking, which I specifically bought because of the Pyrex measuring cup disasters. 

I didn't drop the thing in the sink - just bumped the underside edge the right way I guess.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl  I can tell you from experience that pyrex measuring cups aren't made like what my Ma and Grandma had.  I've broken a couple of those in a short time and it's not like I even cook alot, lol.

Grayson's tub was Anchor Hocking, which I specifically bought because of the Pyrex measuring cup disasters. 

I didn't drop the thing in the sink - just bumped the underside edge the right way I guess.

@Bird mama  I use an old, and I mean old, lol,  4-cup Pyrex measuring cup every morning to boil water in the microwave for tea, have to scrape off the mineral deposits every so often.