Valued Contributor

Re: Spam calls unbelievable even after the medicare enrollment ended...

I always ask one of two questions:

"Do you know Jesus?"..

...or...(and this is very effective)...

"Are you naked?"

They rarely call back.

Respected Contributor

I answered one the other day ...guy says he's from the Social Security Department ( it's Social Security ADMINITSTRATION not department)...He had a thick accent.

I kept asking him WHAT is the SS "department"? He said to ME that I must not be an American if I don't know what it is.....blah blah blah....

I let him speil on for five minutes (I KNOW they are scams) and he said 

"Do you have any questions?"

I asked:

"Does your Mom know you scam people for a living?"

HE hung up.

Sometimes I drag out an answer, faking concern about my number or IRS account or whatever, then ask:

"Have you told YOUR mother to watch out for these scams?!?!?"

One time the guy yelled "SHUT UP!!!" to me before he hung up. I spit out my coffee!!!

Super Contributor

Don't even get me started.  Not only Spam calls but the constant Medicare commercials.  If these insurance companies would use the money to spend on medical claims instead of spending Millions to deceive Medicare eligibles!  The whole thing is sickening.  i report every unwanted call since we are on a 'do not call list'.  I pre-screen calls and don't answer if I don't know the number. This whole business should be illegal.  Add to it all the unwanted mail.  Dozens of calendars from Charities I have never donated to.  Then the annoying address labels.  Who still uses address labels? ' 

Super Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@chiclet 

One thing I tried was to opt out of AARP they solicit a number of other vendors and United Health Care is affiliated with them...this alone cut down on my landline spam and robo calls....

I hated to do it, but got rid of my landline (was keeping for emergencies since I kept an old phone which enabled me to still call out with my landline if power went out and couldnt re-charge my cell).....BUT I pulled the plug and just had ONE thats one--- telemarketing call on my cell,  I blocked the number and no more....not even a voicemail!  And thats been 3 yrs now....

We need privacy laws like they have in Europe.  The lack of privacy in the U.S. is not only annoying but it makes everybody an easy victim.  Especially seniors are in danger.

Super Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

It is illegal to call people to sell medical insurance.  They are breaking the law.

The only way they are allowed to contact you is if you request them to do so, by filling out and sending back a card, etc.

You can report these callers at " Donotcall.gov"

It is pain to have to report them, but if everyone did, it would help.

I report every call and still get them.  It doesn't help to have a 'donotcall' and reporting it if nothing happens to these people.  We have gotten to the point in the U.S. where every consumer is fair game and without protection.

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

yes, "Crystal" calls all day long... from many spoof phone numbers and different states....   she really GETS AROUND.... very busy girl!

We get calls from an idiot requesting to speak to the lady of the house.  When hubby answers he says he has to use his big boy voice.  How pathetic do you have to be to work in that industry?

Honored Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

I always ask one of two questions:

"Do you know Jesus?"..

...or...(and this is very effective)...

"Are you naked?"

They rarely call back.

Now I hadn't thought of those two, but it's worth a shot!!  LOL

Valued Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

I see so many TV ads with Joe Nameth that I've started mimicing his arm and hand mottions when the ad comes on. 

Chair aerobics with Joe!

lol!