Honored Contributor

Re: Spam calls unbelievable even after the medicare enrollment ended...

• I don't ever answer my phone, don't have answering machine.  I get few spam calls and have never seen one from an insurance company.  If your phone is answered, it tells them there's a live potential sucker at your number. 
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet 

Until certain bodies of people in charge get on it! It will continue, and most likely, get worse. Without consequences, people do what people can do!

I was part of a corporation that was declared a monopoly decades ago, and it was broken into 3 companies. Why?  It is easy to find 1 mans reasoning for it back in 1984.

Still use dialup and our phones do not allow our phone to ring, nor allow blocked numbers to use our voicemail.

My cell phone use is virtually zero, so I am not affected my any of these issues. My wife!!!

hckynut 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I actually had to get rid of my landline because of all the spam call , We would get about 12 calls a day and only one would be for us . We mostly used it for Doctor calls , but I had them all transferred to my cell .  My husband gets a lot of Dr calls but drives a school bus so can't answer calls so they all comes to my cell . Still so much better than having that crazy phone ringing every hour !

Honored Contributor

It is illegal to call people to sell medical insurance.  They are breaking the law.

The only way they are allowed to contact you is if you request them to do so, by filling out and sending back a card, etc.

You can report these callers at " Donotcall.gov"

It is pain to have to report them, but if everyone did, it would help.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I, too, thought the spammy calls about Medicare plans would end, but another scammer rang our  phone today.

Very foreign accent, barely understandable, allegedly from a company called American Benefits.

She was trying to sell funeral planning services.  She asked how old I am.  Said it was none of her business,  told her to go pick on someone else and consider getting a real job. I wasn't using a polite tone of voice, either.

Most of the time, junk calls appear on our landline caller ID as "spam" and we don't answer.  We also don't answer many other

strange calls anyway, thinking someone will leave a message if they really want to talk.

Some of the Medicare calls were actually amusing.  One caller asked right off the bat how tall I was......I asked what height has to do with Medicare.  Another said I "probably have diabetes and high blood pressure, right?"

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@CalminHeart iPhone also has a feature where you can silence unknown callers. I have this on all the time. It doesn't stop them from calling but the phone doesn't ring. Sometimes they'll leave a voice mail. I just delete them when they show up. It doesn't do any good to block the numbers because the number you see on your caller ID is phony. These scammers spoof numbers and you will never see the same one twice. And if the call is from a legitimate source, the caller will leave a voicemail and you can call them back.

Yes, I use that feature too. I forgot to mention it in my earlier post. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I see so many TV ads with Joe Nameth that I've started mimicing his arm and hand mottions when the ad comes on. 

Chair aerobics with Joe!

Honored Contributor

@judianne wrote:

I actually had to get rid of my landline because of all the spam call , We would get about 12 calls a day and only one would be for us . We mostly used it for Doctor calls , but I had them all transferred to my cell .  My husband gets a lot of Dr calls but drives a school bus so can't answer calls so they all comes to my cell . Still so much better than having that crazy phone ringing every hour !

I also want to get rid of the landline. It is getting crazy. I get calls beginning at 7:43 AM until 8:00 PM. My husband answers sometimes and I keep thinking that is why we get up to 25 calls a day. 

We signed up for no more robo and do not call but it doesn't stop. I started getting calls today at 9:13 AM and have gotten 6 calls since. GRRRR!

Respected Contributor

The recent "enrollment period" for Medicare Advantage Plans was primarily the period of time that IF you had a plan in place, you could change it.

Or, if you are NEW to Medicare ( Turned 65) could get a first plan.

BUT....

From January 1 to March 31 of the year, you can make a once a year choice to CHANGE whatever plan you bought in the fall enrollment period.

then, the REST of the year. ( the WHOLE year!!!) people turn 65 every day in the USA,so there are ALWAYS people to hawk Advantage plans to. You can buy one as soon as you turn 65.

Since people turn 65 every day, we will see these annoying ads 24/7 365 days a year.

Depressing!!! I can't get to the remote fast enough.

I DO have a Medicare Advantage Plan. I bought it OUTSIDE of the fall enrollment period ( after Dec 7 end date) in 2020. Because my birthday is in January of the year, and I turned 65 in January 2021.

Hope this helps.  Joe Namath, JJ, Shatner, Martha...we'll keep seeing them! Maybe not quite as often as the Fall enrollment or choice change time, but they'll be there...ready to annoy at a moment's notice!!!

Honored Contributor

Somehow - my cell phone can identify spam calls, and doesn't ring - just shows SPAM and enters it to "recent calls."

I got a spam call on my land line the other day. 

My father always had "fun" dealing with spam callers.

I was in one of my "moods" and asked him (in English)  to speak slowly and a bit louder because I don't understand English very well and was hard of hearing.  He repeats and I said "what?" ..... he hung up.