Super Contributor

My cousin just got a food stamp-snap type card. Does anyone have any idea if you can by brand names with this card?

And if they keep track of what you buy at the family services?

I have no idea and cant help her, and looked online but found nothing.

Respected Contributor

@OhioAngel  I doubt if it restricts from brand names, but if me, I would purchase the store brands in order to make the most of what I was given. Most, if not all stores, will guarantee their own brands so there is no risk in trying out a store brand vs. a name brand. 

As for tracking purchases, who knows, but everything is tracked now, from your local grocery store rewards cards, credit card purchases, to whatever you search on your computer.   I think even the insurance companies are wanting to put trackers on your vehicle in order to see how many miles you drive and if you drive safely. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure your cousin knows exactly what the restrictions are...or are not on that card.  If she has questions, all she has to do ask the agency that gave it to her.

Honored Contributor

@OhioAngelBrand names don't matter.  Anything from the list of approved items (soaps, paper towels, toilet paper etc. cannot be bought - only food items) can be purchased including junk food/soda.  It's up to each household to spend they way they want.  I'm sure tracking is possible but just not practical.  It would take way more employees than the Welfare Offices have to do this and it would then result in punishing those in need with children.   To make the most of it, though,  it is better to cook from scratch rather than buying expensive prepackaged prepared food that just needs heated up or thawed.  There is more than enough food stamps to feed a family properly for each month.  Some just are too lazy to do it.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Snap Card Question

[ Edited ]

It's all spelled out on the USDA dot gov website.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

If you buy something not on the list, it will kick out when you use the card.

The card will cover the approved items.

Then you pay for the non-food items with your personal cash or debit card.

@OhioAngel wrote:

My cousin just got a food stamp-snap type card. Does anyone have any idea if you can by brand names with this card?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

From the USDA website:

Households CAN use SNAP benefits to buy:

• Foods for the household to eat, such as:  
  • breads and cereals;  
  • fruits and vegetables;  
  • meats, fish and poultry; and   
  • dairy products.
  • Seeds and plants which produce food for the household to eat.

In some areas, restaurants can be authorized to accept SNAP benefits from qualified homeless, elderly, or disabled people in exchange for low-cost meals.

Households CANNOT use SNAP benefits to buy:

• Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco
  • Any nonfood items, such as:
  • pet foods  
  • soaps, paper products   
  • household supplies
  • Vitamins and medicines
  • Food that will be eaten in the store
  • Hot foods

Additional Information

“Junk Food” & Luxury Items

The Food and Nutrition Act of 2008 (the Act) defines eligible food as any food or food product for home consumption and also includes seeds and plants which produce food for consumption by SNAP households. The Act precludes the following items from being purchased with SNAP benefits:  alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, hot food and any food sold for on-premises consumption. Nonfood items such as pet foods, soaps, paper products, medicines and vitamins, household supplies, grooming items, and cosmetics, also are ineligible for purchase with SNAP benefits.   

• Soft drinks, candy, cookies, snack crackers, and ice cream are food items and are therefore eligible items
  • Seafood, steak, and bakery cakes are also food items and are therefore eligible items

Since the current definition of food is a specific part of the Act, any change to this definition would require action by Congress. Several times in the history of SNAP Congress considered placing limits on the types of food that could be purchased with program benefits. However, they concluded that designating foods as luxury or non-nutritious would be administratively costly and burdensome. 

Energy Drinks

When considering the eligibility of energy drinks, and other branded products, the primary determinant is the type of product label chosen by the manufacturer to conform to Food and Drug Administration (FDA) guidelines: 

• Energy drinks that have a nutrition facts label are eligible foods
  • Energy drinks that have a supplement facts label are classified by the FDA as supplements, and are therefore not eligible

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much for messages. I will let my cousin know this stuff. She said she  felt stupid to ask them even though I told her that nobody would  be expected to know all the information. It sounds like the amount will go further by not buying the name brands and needs to cook more thats for sure. Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

Just in case, you cant buy a cooked food. Like a chicken thats been cooked or a deli sandwich. At least not in California.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

@OhioAngel wrote:

Yes, you can buy brand name food/drinks with food stamps. It doesn't matter if they are store brands, generic brands or brand names. @cotton4me (reply #6) posted excellent info that details what is and what isn't eligible. No rules about brands because it doesn't matter. 

Sometimes a name brand is a better buy if it is on sale, or if you use coupons, or if it is a true BOGO (not buy one get one 50% off). You can ask your specific case worker or ask online if your welfare department has that option (most do)) for anything you need explained. You should have been given a fact sheet when you applied or when your application was approved.

Honored Contributor

My niece had the card for a while...I thougt it was odd that she could not purchase T Paper with the card.  I helped her out because she was very ill and could not work for a period of time......I find that to be an essential item.