Trusted Contributor

I've noticed that all of a sudden a lot of businesses have added a high rating from BBB as a "plus" to how good their business is.

I'm wondering: does anyone know anything about BBB? What are their criteria for rating a business? If I go to their website, will I straight answers to my questions or a bunch of evasive hyperbole?

I should add that I'm NOT insinuating that I will, but I know that businesses often gloss over some of their mistakes, bad ratings from other clearinghouses of information, etc.

Any information--good, bad, neutral, etc., will be greatly appreciated.

Respected Contributor

I would not rely on the BBB for anything.  In the past, I made a complaint about an air conditioning company.  The BBB dismissed my complaint.  This happened about 10 years ago so I can even remember what my complaint was...  But still, I would not rely on BBB's ratings at all...

Honored Contributor

Whenever I've looked up businesses on the BBB, I've just not gotten a lot of detailed or even updated information. At least that's been my impression.I'd rather find reviews from recent customers.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

The BBB is an objective non-profit business reviewer and assesser. This is its description, unquestioned by other consumer sources:

“As non-profit dedicated to advancing marketplace trust, BBB serves as a trusted, objective source of business ratings and reviews for consumers and best practice standards and self-regulation programs for businesses.”

This is their mission statement

https://www.bbb.org/western-michigan/get-to-know-us/vision-mission-and-values/

Read how a business can apply apply to be included in BBB listings

https://www.bbb.org/concord/for-businesses/claim-your-bbb-business-review/bbb-business-review-conten...

You can view it all as a scam and subject to underhanded influence to bilk and confuse consumers in conflict with the information above, or you can feel confident that more businesses are seeking this inclusion by the BBB and are willing to be compliant to the standards. 

It’s hard to be be recognized by the BBB and if a business is removed from the list it’s hadet to get back on.  But trust is always in the eye of the beholder. Only you can decide if BBB standards are valid and meaningful to you. 

Honored Contributor

while i do read reviews on the BBB website and take everything into consideration, it is only a small part of how i decide to purchase something or use their services.

BBB DOES encourage small businesses to be accredited by them. to be honest, it isnt cheap, especially for a small business. it can help a little, but i find word of mouth, length of time in business, and honest/fair business practices keep small businesses in business rather than an accreditation from BBB.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

i think that they are not worth the time.  i had to file a complaint against a plumbling company and they were no help at all.  in fact they did not really do anything.  and anyone can post a good or back review on a company.

Honored Contributor

I didn't know the BBB was still around.   I don't think they are relevant now.  

Esteemed Contributor

Checking with the BBB is usually how I find competent, qualified and trustworthy help. In fact, I recently found a great locksmith through the BBB. I call and ask them for referrals. The provide five or six and read me their recommendations. I select the best of the choices given. If I'm not pleased with the first list, they provide more. (Of course, I go over my list with a group of friends on-line and receive feed-back and word-of-mouth also!)

Our BBB in Nebraska is exceptional. Have used them since we returned to Lincoln in 1980. However, my biggest recommendation for them is that my son now sits on their Board of Directors! He is smart, non-biased and volunteers his time to help all users receive the best help from our BBB possible. 

Your BBB is only as good as those who support it. If you are willing to complete the long forms when filing a complaint or a reference, please do so! Both the positive and negative comments are helpful for all businesses in their data. Even it a business does not pay for membership, comments are kept and distributed when asked about that business.

Following a hail storm a couple of years ago, many roofers were gouging homeowners who didn't bother to make sure the roofers were legitimate. A quick phone call to the BBB would have confirmed those roofer had a history of inept work and lousy follow-up. Most of us knew to check with BBB and were saved needless worry or expense. (I was on a waiting list for over a year, but had the roofer of my choice! My insurance agent was fine with my decision to wait for the roofer I chose; he knew the crew was a permanent crew and were excellent. In fact, his parents were also on the same list!) 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

BBB is an independent organization.  Having dealt with them through places I have worked if they get a complaint they contact the business.  The business has an opportunity to respond.  They can't do anything for you.  They pretty much bring it to the attention of the business.  People tend to think they "help" you.  They have no power over a business.

Honored Contributor

I look at the BBB as being on the same level as the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.  Totally useless.