Honored Contributor

Tomorrow (September 17, 2018) I have been married for 52 years

My husband died in 2004 (we'd just celebrated 38 years when he suddenly died).

I still call it my wedding anniversary because as far as I'm concerned I'm still married to him.  We were married within 3 months of the moment we met.

It would have been sooner but we wanted to get married in the little church at Ft Myer, Va.  My husband was in the Honor Guard there and he wanted the full ceremony with the dress uniforms, etc.

It was a wonderful wedding.  It was cheap (only cost $10 to the Chaplain).  Beautiful FREE wedding dress.  Attendants wore similar dresses.  Headpieces were made.  Reception given by my brother.  Honeymoon given to us by my mother for 1 week.

Anyway, think of me tomorrow.  My 3 girls always call me and send cards, so that's nice.  The oldest that lives near, takes me to lunch when she can.  

It's hard when you loose your soul mate and best friend but ........

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tomorrow (September 17, 2018) I have been married for 52 years

@Annabellethecat66, what a beautiful story.  Happy Anniversary to you.  I hope your memories warm your heart on this special day.  LM

Honored Contributor

I decided to share this with you guys because I share a lot (probably too much....sorry) with all of you.

This was the second most wonderful day in my life!  Number one was when each of my girls were born (nothing beat that)!

He was as handsome when he died as he was when we walked down the aisle.

He wore his uniform and we walked under the fixed bayonets.  It was amazing!

Even better, my oldest daughter was married in the same church.  Her husband was an officer (ROTC) in the Navy.  He was getting out (only way she agreed to marry him) but she wanted to marry like we did.

She looked so much like me, it's fun to see people look at the pictures and compare.  She walked under the swords.

Esteemed Contributor

I’m so sorry for your loss. My husband and I have a smilar story. We celebrated our 54th anniversary on Sept. 13. He has Alzheimer’s so I don’t know how many more anniversaries there will be.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You always speak so fondly and lovingly of your late husband. 

Your daughters will help make the day special for you.

God bless you. @Annabellethecat66

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66

Happy Anniversary!  🎉  I agree that you and your husband had a beautiful love story.  He was a very smart guy to snap you up that quickly!  I’ll bet you had a wonderful marriage.  It’s so nice that your daughters remember you on your special day.

My husband and I were also married 38 years, but we had been together in one form or another since I was 17.  I like that you still consider yourself married, because that’s exactly how I feel and will continue to feel.  It’s very hard to remember to now check the ‘widow’ box when filling out forms, because even though I am one, I still think of myself as married to him.  

I always appreciate your posts about your husband.  You’ve given me a wonderful model in yourself as to how to go forward into this new phase of my life.  Into your club “that nobody wants to belong to”.😇

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66@Happy anniversary...I hope your man of your dreams visits in your dreams tonight.Your beautiful post brought tears to my eyes.

Respected Contributor

Happy Anniversary @Annabellethecat66.  Wishing you peace and love on your special day.  He'll be with you, just as he is 

everyday❤️🌹❤️

Esteemed Contributor

Valued Contributor

2014 for me and suddenly. It is disparaging to check the widows box I agree as he

will always be here with me in spirit.

Happy Anniversary