Esteemed Contributor

Re: Silver fillings in teeth?

Actually amalgam fillings have proven to be quite safe.  I still have several in my molars and would never even think about removing them for a composite restoration (white filling).  Your are just applying more trauma to your tooth for no reason.  Today the composite ones are mostly used as the material has improved but amalgam is very strong and can hold up much longer in most cases.   I don't believe most dental offices are still using amalgam now.   I have been retired for several years and am out of the loop as far as the most current forms of treatment.  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Actually amalgam fillings have proven to be quite safe.  I still have several in my molars and would never even think about removing them for a composite restoration (white filling).  Your are just applying more trauma to your tooth for no reason.  Today the composite ones are mostly used as the material has improved but amalgam is very strong and can hold up much longer in most cases.   I don't believe most dental offices are still using amalgam now.   I have been retired for several years and am out of the loop as far as the most current forms of treatment.  Smiley Very Happy

Amalgam filling must be safe.  When I wanted mine removed my regular dentist referred me to a special safe removal certified dentist because the removal of such fillings are not only dangerous to the patient but the dental staff as well.

Thankfully I only had two tiny fillings but it was a process.

Clearly NOT safe.

Esteemed Contributor

My father was a dentist. He filled the family's teeth with old fashioned fillings. When I grew up and moved away, I got a new dentist, more aware of current practices. However, my mother, whose mouth is filled with those old fillings, will be 99 next May.

Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

I wish the news would stop breathlessly reporting on it as though it had just been discovered. There's a radio station here in Seattle that, I swear gives a "covid update" twice an hour.

ENOUGH ALREADY!
Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

Amalgam filling must be safe.  When I wanted mine removed my regular dentist referred me to a special safe removal certified dentist because the removal of such fillings are not only dangerous to the patient but the dental staff as well.

Thankfully I only had two tiny fillings but it was a process.

Clearly NOT safe.

Incorrect, according to the Mayo Clinic.   https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/amalgam-is-a-safe-and-durable-choice-for-fillings/