Honored Contributor

@charvale wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Color me doubtful.

Bingo @Moonchilde! OP/AppleHead/HotStreet are very "poehler-esque" lol.

There certainly has been that air in this and past posts. It's beginning to stand out to me & be remembered 😉

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the good comments.

I work for a gov't municipality, it's not a private business.

I wish I had said I didn't have the money, but I had my wallet in hand and was about to pay for the drink I was buying.   She saw my money.  

Esteemed Contributor

Don't apologize and don't explain.

If you know when the boss gets paid, ask the next day. "Hey, I'm heading out to lunch. BTW, do you have that $5 I lent you"? Not to ask means you'll accept this treatment.

Income is no guarantee of solvency. When I was in college I was the lowest paid, part time, no benefits employee. People who made 6 figures in my office stole each others lunches from the employee fridge.

Honored Contributor

What I'd like to do/suggest is to place on her desk a small note/post-it, asking for the five dollars.  'On the other hand': She is your boss............hmmmm.  I really don't know what to suggest.  Maybe not mention it until the 'right time'.  Or maybe not at all..............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@charvale wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Color me doubtful.

Bingo @Moonchilde! OP/AppleHead/HotStreet are very "poehler-esque" lol.

There certainly has been that air in this and past posts. It's beginning to stand out to me & be remembered 😉

Imagine keeping up with all those names and stories. My my my........

Honored Contributor

@Frosted Cake

Boss was out of line asking for money.

Ask for your money back in whatever way you feel comfortable. 

Valued Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

What I'd like to do/suggest is to place on her desk a small note/post-it, asking for the five dollars.  'On the other hand': She is your boss............hmmmm.  I really don't know what to suggest.  Maybe not mention it until the 'right time'.  Or maybe not at all..............

ROMARY 1, 

I know, it's such an awkward situation.   Being so new, she really shouldn't have placed me in that situation.     I have to go in tomorrow and tell her I have a doctor's appt on Thursday and will need to adjust my hours, we'll see if there's an opening then OR maybe, she'll remember.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband was in a similar situation years ago.His boss overheard him say that he was on his way to the deli to pick up a sandwich & asked him to pick one up for her.Of course he couldn't say no so he got her the sandwich.When he gave it to her he said "here's your sandwich it cost $6.25".She said "OK thanks".She never made any effort to pay him back!!

That evening he asked me what to do.As annoyed as I was I told him to forget about it,his job was more important!! I told him if she asks him again he should tell her that he is short on cash & doesn't have enough $$ on him to cover it. It did happen again a couple of months later.He told her that he didn't have enough cash on him & she gave him a $10 bill.When he returned she questioned the price of the sandwich & counted her change in front of him very carefully!!

It turns out that this was a habit of hers!! My husband shared his solution with his co workers.She stopped doing it!! This woman was making a lot of $$ & was taking advantage of employees who were barely making ends meet!!

My opinion to you is drop it.You need the job.If she asks you for $$ again tell her your sorry but your short on cash & don't have it on you!!

Good luck!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@charvale I'm with you. 

Super Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@charvale I'm with you. 

😉 @Goldengate8361.