Valued Contributor

I just started a new job about 6 weeks ago.  Earlier this week, my new boss was in the cafeteria with me and asked if she could borrow $5.  I wasn't thrilled about it because I don't make much money and had planned to go grocery shopping later and needed some eye drops.   $5.00 isn't a lot, but when you're on a fixed income, every dollar matters.   

She makes a lot of money and I just thought it a bit unfair to ask a new employee (the lowest on the totem poll in the office) for money.   

The thing that bothers me is she hasn't paid me back.   I can't ask for it, it's too awkward and puts me in an uncomfortable place.   But really, she should never have asked.  I would feel weird asking her or any other employee there to borrow money at this stage of my employ.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth that she takes advantage of me.  I remember at another job asking from a coworker to borrow 50 cents because I needed a tampon and didn't have the change. I paid the gal back immediately for just 50 cents!   

$5.00 may be nothing to her, but to me, it helps pay for my groceries and eye drops I need.

She could have at least paid me back.

Esteemed Contributor

It's ok to ask her for it; she probably forgot. No, she should not have asked to borrow money from you, but it's truly not that big of a deal. She is, after all, giving you an opportunity to earn a paycheck. She's doing far more for you. I suggest lightening up.

Respected Contributor

First of all it was inapropriate for your boss to ask you for $5 as you already stated, second of all I would be asking for my money back and never loan to her again.  There should be no issue with your job because she was out of line in the first place.  Stand your ground !

QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

I would definately ask her for the five dollers back and let her know that you had to put off buying your eye drops because you had unexpected expenses.

Esteemed Contributor

My gut feeling is not to ask for it back.  Next time,YOU JUST DON'T HAVE IT.  Out of  money, no change, any excuse you can come up with. You were caught off guard.

Honored Contributor

Re: Should A Boss Do This?

[ Edited ]

I think your boss was out line.  You are not friends and she put you on the spot.  It is 100% wrong for someone who is your boss to ask you for money when you are not friends.

i would casually ask her to repay the money  " I don't have time to go to the ATM, could you please repay the $5 I lent you as I am in a tight spot and  really need it?"  If she was comfortable asking you for money, you should be able to ask her to return it.

Send  her an e-mail or put a note on her desk, if you must.

The next time she asks, just say, you don't have any cash on you.  

Respected Contributor

@Frosted Cake I had the same experience.  Only she borrowed $20.  I do think you were taken advantage of and put in a bad position.  I also think people like that have a habit of repeating the same "mistake" of borrowing and not paying back. 

For me it's hard asking for the money.  Maybe you can borrow $5 from her and call it even.  See how that sits with her. 

Trusted Contributor

I hope your boss is not the owner of the company because I might be worried about the solvency of the company.

I'm not sure I'd ask for it back either but I certainly wouldn't loan her money again.

Sometimes when one of my co-workers is a little short of lunch money I'll give her up to $10 and I'll say "Just take it and I'll take a raincheckk on a future lunch."

She either pays me back or buys me that lunch, and vice-versa if I'm ever short of funds.

But we've worked together for several years and know this arrangement works well for us.

Super Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Color me doubtful.

Bingo @Moonchilde! OP/AppleHead/HotStreet are very "poehler-esque" lol.