Super Contributor

Re: Sanitary practice at fast food places

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I once sent a request to Bob Evans restaurant asking them to rethink how they cleaned tables after a customer left.....I noticed they used the same rag to wash EVERY TABLE, never using any type of disinfectant. 

They did reply to let me know they were not going to make any changes in how the tables were wiped down....

I've seen several restaurant chains clean off tables with the same rag they clean off the seat the customers had just sat on without using disinfectant also. I don't go to those restaurants anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 You are right that I should have said something but I didn't want to make the young guy feel bad.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I once sent a request to Bob Evans restaurant asking them to rethink how they cleaned tables after a customer left.....I noticed they used the same rag to wash EVERY TABLE, never using any type of disinfectant. 

They did reply to let me know they were not going to make any changes in how the tables were wiped down....

at least you got an answer,  

Esteemed Contributor

Things like that have happened to me. I've had cashiers stick their fingers in the cup as they handed it to me. Not sure why they felt the need to handle the cup that way. Or, for some reason, they turn the cup upside down and set it on the dirty counter.

We've had discussions concerning this topic...I couldn't believe how many posters here said that it was no big deal and not to eat out if you can't handle some germs.

Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower I think that we have to be more careful than ever these days.There are super bugs and the resurgance of what we thought were eradicated diseases.I am not concerned about the flu or colds nearly as much as TB or pneumonia or cdiff,flesh eating bacteria or others like those.

Honored Contributor

Cashiers are not supposed to handle food.  Everyone who handles food must wash their hands, then put on gloves.  

I have seen workers in a pizza shop make pizza, sandwiches and salads then ring up your purchase and handle money... then go right back to preparing food.

Last summer, there was a guy making lemonade with gloves on.  He would put half a lemon into a lemon squeezer, add water and sugar in a container and shake it.  He would also handle money with the same gloves on.

There are so many violations in food establishments,  I very seldom eat out.  Our local paper publishes the violations weekly.  Sometimes the most expensive, upscale places are the worst.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower I think that we have to be more careful than ever these days.There are super bugs and the resurgance of what we thought were eradicated diseases.I am not concerned about the flu or colds nearly as much as TB or pneumonia or cdiff,flesh eating bacteria or others like those.

If you have an autoimmune disease ...you could get something that could kill you.

Esteemed Contributor

What about must be on the plastic-covered menus?  

Honored Contributor

Yuck!  My DH used to take my DS to a local Carl's Jr until it was closed for a few days due to a rat infestation...that's bad.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Regular Contributor

I go nuts when cashiers lick their fingers to wet them to open plastic bags or to count money.  They're basically spitting on my food, medications, money.