Honored Contributor

Sanitary practice at fast food places

Was at McDonald's yesterday and ordered ice cream cones.The cashier made the cones without putting on gloves.There is a thin paper strip on the handle but his hands were big and they were all over the cone .I ate the ice cream but tossed it when I got down to the cone...shouldn't they have another person handling food?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sanitary practice at fast food places

I believe they're supposed to pick the cone up by the paper covered end, and wrap the outside of the cone in a napkin, so they can handle it without touching your FOOD with their bare hands before they proceed to fill it with ice cream. If that's not their procedure, it should be!

If I see someone do something like that, when they turn around to hand it to me I do not reach out to take it from them. I leave my hands down and I simply say I'm not eating that, your hands have been all over it. It's my food and I don't want to touched with bare hands.
Honored Contributor

Last time I had fast food was in Cordes Junction, AZ..........at a Chevron/McDonald's truck stop on Interstate17.    I had French fries and a coke.   (It was a few years ago).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

no fast food for us for past several years now.

even some resturants i have problems with cleaning of tables and floors.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

Was at McDonald's yesterday and ordered ice cream cones.The cashier made the cones without putting on gloves.There is a thin paper strip on the handle but his hands were big and they were all over the cone .I ate the ice cream but tossed it when I got down to the cone...shouldn't they have another person handling food?

@dex  And to whom did you report this transgression?  I would have been on the phone to the manager lickedly split and maybe the municipal health department.  They can't fix it unless they know about it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Some years ago I was in the restroom in the food court at a mall.  A young girl came out of the stall at the same time I came out of mine.  I washed my hands while she applied lipstick and fluffed her hair.  She had on a fast food uniform.  I moved aside to see if she was going to wash her hands.  She never did.  I left behind her and followed her to the restaurant.  I asked to speak to the manager and told her this story and pointed out the girl.  She promised to speak to her.  

Respected Contributor

I would eat it & go on with my day.

I probably ate it yesterday. If McDonald's ice cream machine was actually working yesterday!

Honored Contributor

They need to be reported to the Sanation dept of the Health Department so there will be a record when their grade is renewed.  Safe Serve Certification was taught in my department.

Honored Contributor

If that were my daughter, a restaurant manager, she would have said something and not taken it from him.

Honored Contributor

I once sent a request to Bob Evans restaurant asking them to rethink how they cleaned tables after a customer left.....I noticed they used the same rag to wash EVERY TABLE, never using any type of disinfectant. 

They did reply to let me know they were not going to make any changes in how the tables were wiped down....