Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ring Doorbell Didn't stop the crime

@alicedee wrote:

There is a segment of society that thinks they can do whatever they want with no repercussions.

Hopefully this person is identified and brought to justice.

They're called criminals.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always viewed bright lights/audible alarm and video surveillance as a notification or possibly preventative devices. In era's past, I think they probably changed the targets of some criminal behavior.

But actually stop crime? Possible, depending on the location of the one viewing the activity, but unlikely the majority of the time. 

Help find the suspect? Certainly a possibility. Like many crimes, seeing one overlooking a potential crime, usually is not evidence a crime has been committed.

Unfortunately, like way too many, it has to be after an illegal event has occurred. Looking like they are going to steal is not crime, they have to actually be caught doing so, or chances of a conviction are pretty slim.

Ring or any other recording device's purpose is not to stop the crime, but to have a visual, and maybe audio also, of the crime taking place.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

Cameras these days don't really deter the criminals as they are getting more brazen. We see videos all the time on our Ring app.  The cameras take the picture and hopefully the police can identify the criminal. 

@LuvmyLab.  These crimes are so petty that I doubt the police make much effort to solve them.  They have much bigger fish to fry.  Maybe if it happens repeatedly in one area.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Why wouldn't criminals get more brazen when they know the laws won't be enforced?

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Someone posted a Ring Doorbell video on our Nextdoor group of a lady calmly walking around their front yard stealing all their solar lights.  When she's done she's lit up like a Christmas tree walking back to her car which she had parked in their driveway.

I really hope they catch the woman and make an example out of her. Some people are so brazen, its just hard to believe. 

Respected Contributor

Big barking dogs with sharp teeth will stop most crimes.

I do not have any ring doorbell cameras, but I have two dogs and they alert me when anybody walks onto the property or comes near the front door.

I feel much safer knowing they are "on patrol."

Esteemed Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

I do not have any ring doorbell cameras, but I have two dogs and they alert me when anybody walks onto the property or comes near the front door.

You are correct @FancyPhillyshopper Dogs, and good lighting are the number one deterrent to crime. I do think the cameras, and other home security systems deter as well, but I would say don't be complacent.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

@FancyPhillyshopper don't you mean "on pawtrol"?  We do have a barker next door, but I rarely ever hear him at night.  Not sure if they bring him inside or if it's just that all's quiet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@furbabylover w,,rote:

Why wouldn't criminals get more brazen when they know the laws won't be enforced?

@furbabylover 

Might depend on where you live. Smaller cities usually have less crime and law enforcement tends more to respond to home thefts and burglaries.

He!!, I had 3 Sheriff's come to my home around midnight. I had to prove that I lived here. That 3 ended with 4 before they left. Said a neighbor called and told them squatters were living in our home. Had to show ID who I was and ID for my legal firearm. Wife was in the  bedroom sleeping, never heard a thing!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@furbabylover w,,rote:

@furbabylover 

Might depend on where you live. Smaller cities usually have less crime and law enforcement tends more to respond to home thefts and burglaries.

He!!, I had 3 Sheriff's come to my home around midnight. I had to prove that I lived here. That 3 ended with 4 before they left. Said a neighbor called and told them squatters were living in our home. Had to show ID who I was and ID for my legal weapon. Wife was in the  bedroom sleeping, never heard a thing!

hckynut

@hckynut  Agree with you there. Small town here, no problems.    We just called the police the other night as a car pulled into the driveways of two empty houses across the street. Police were here in less than five minutes and did a thorough search around the properties.