Respected Contributor

Re: Retirement - How Much Notice?

When do YOU want to leave.  You may be asked to leave just as soon as you give notice.  Many companies have a policy of doing that.  Otherwise 3-4 weeks is more than enough time.  Replacing you is not your responsibility.  

Respected Contributor

I’m also trying to decide myself.  My Fortune 500 company would “like” 90 days.  I just want to make sure they can’t do something to my pension.  Will contact HR soon.  I would like to leave by possibly March next year.  

Sadly, like most companies, I know some that were let go, and they didn’t get 90 minutes notice.  (mostly large downsizing moves).  More like 90 seconds.  My replacement and their training isn’t my issue.  

Trusted Contributor

Have you inquired with your HR dept.?  I retired 7 yrs ago from a large state govt. agency and I wanted to make sure that all the exit paperwork was processed in a timely manner.  I didn't want any mistakes that would affect my benefits.  If I remember correctly, I filed my papers 90 days prior to my retirement effective date.

Super Contributor

Sooner, You are so right!  2-3 weeks is enough just get all the retirement  paperwork in order.  Some companies don't want you there too long once

you give notice..    

Respected Contributor

I say 3 months notice especially if they will be keeping your position open. Id want to leave on a good note and that should give them adequate time to hire and start training a replacement. 

i dont see anythig strange about some one who has 14 more years of employment, and previously in a higher position making more money than you. You shouldnt know their salary anyway.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

I notified my employer 2 months prior to retiring.  

Honored Contributor

I was only going to give a month.  However, I ended up giving a little over 3 months.  After I saw what all I had to go through to get health insurance, social security, etc., I wanted to make sure I had time to get everything in order.  I had been at my place of employment for a very long time also and I wanted to be fair to them, too.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@BunSnoop wrote:

I notified my employer 2 months prior to retiring.  

Sorry, I hit 'post' too early and haven't been able to edit for many weeks now.

How much notice you give depends on your job level and responsibilities. While others at my level gave 3-6 months notice, I decided on 2 months notice as a birthday gift. My last day at work was the day before my birthday.  

Who cares how long it takes to train someone else. It's nice that you care but it's their issue, not yours. Do what's best for you

IMO, don't give too much notice unless there are special circumstances that require it. 

Honored Contributor

I gave my company 6 months notice. I wanted to make sure things went smoothly.

It took almost 2 months for them to hire someone to replace me. On her first day, I took it real slow and only showed her maybe two of her responsibilities. She went to lunch and never returned.

It took about another month for them to hire #2 replacement. I took it REAL easy on her. After all the comments from co-workers about Candidate #1. She lasted 3 days.

Then they hired candidate #3 about a month later. WELL, she was smarter than me. She didn't need any training from me. And she was annoyed that I was sitting by her desk trying to show her what to do. So I stopped sitting by her desk and trying to show her how to do things.

I went on doing what I had to do to meet my deadlines and she sat and was on her phone with personal calls much of the time.

One day I commented that once I am gone you can blame me for any problems that arise. Her reply was "Oh, I already have been doing that".

At 6 months I said good-by. And months later one of the Engineers that I worked for

said she messed things up so badly, the company lost it's biggest client. And she is still working at that company today.

Esteemed Contributor

I gave my workplace 6 weeks notice. I had to send in paperwork stating that I would no longer be covered by their insurance once retired. Policy is that an employee had to work there for 25 years in order to keep work insurance. I had worked 23 years. There was some more paperwork that the manager had to send in for my retirement. So two weeks wouldn't have been enough time to get everything settled. 

I worked at a hospital, and they did not try to push me out sooner. The managers treated me well, and didn't short change me in work hours or assignments. I didn't care for the direction our department was headed and their new rules, but, individually, I was treated fairly. 

As far as SS, and Medicare, I started that paperwork three months ahead. I was able to start my pension before I retired.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain