Respected Contributor

Re: Retirement - How Much Notice?

[ Edited ]

@BunSnoop I plan to retire before the end of this year and I'll be giving two weeks' notice.  I will have been there 14 years but it won't be difficult for them to replace me. There's quite a turnover in our office and no lack of applicants. 

ETA: BTW, retirement age is no longer 65 for everyone. Now your eligibility to receive full Social Security benefits varies according to the year you were born. I have to be 66 and 4 months and my husband (who is younger than me) has to wait until he's 67.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I wouldn't give more than 2 weeks notice and that would be after I took any  time that wasn't used up.

@CelticCrafter I'm keeping my time on the books because we get paid for it if it's not used!

Trusted Contributor

When I worked in corporate, our company was "reorganizing".  Headquarters was moving to Illinois from NY.  Those of us who would be let go (non managers) were brought into the auditorium.  It was January 7, 2004 (my 30th anniversary!) and told we would all be gone by June 30th.  Finance stayed a little longer.

When I retired from a school district in NY, as per our contract, if I wanted to get my sick days paid out, I had to give 6 months notice.  I gave more.  The first school day I met my new boss (the principal), shook his mealy hand, I went home to write my letter.  I think I turned it in a month later.  Last day was June 30th.  Something about that date!

When I was let go from my corporate job, I lost 120 sick days.  When I left the school district, I got paid for approximately 100 sick days.  

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I retired within two weeks of one another. We were mid level Admin employees in Federal Jobs at China Lake.  No worries about giving notice as they couldn't negatively affect us; we worked out what maximized our pay out, including sick days and what maximized our Social Security ( date, month, etc).  We have now been retired 15 1/2 years and all our planning paid off.  DH, who is a bit younger took early retirement in his mid fifties, I retired at sixty three.