Esteemed Contributor

Re: Retirement - How Much Notice?

[ Edited ]

I would not give them more than the standard 2 weeks because once you let them know you are leaving they can and will make your life miserable. They could decide to really stick it to you should there be a layoff and you'll be the first to go. Never let on you can do more because it will be the last time you do so little. Keep quiet. Trust me, the company doesn't give a d***. about you.

Respected Contributor

I plan on retiring next year by July 1st.  I'm keeping my mouth shut until then.  I figure if they let me go so be it.  I have reached my retirement age so not a problem.  Just want to make sure that is what I really want to do.

A work friend is retiring soon and not sure when she is giving her notice.  I believe she wants to be out by mid July.  

I am looking forward to retiring more and more.  I do not plan on giving more than a month notice.  

Honored Contributor

I gave 2 months notice, but my position was eliminated.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop  Your response was the only one that made me laugh out loud!!

Yet, there is some sadness in there too. Bless you for your kindness. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop 

Heads up om Medicare.  Since I was the first to retire in my group, I had no Idea you pay for Medicare monthly.  I had to reach 67 (there is a chart) before I could totally have everything.  I didn't need "back up insurance" because I am a retired state employee.

Respected Contributor

Your company has already shown their regard for you and used you to their advantage (which they continue to do).  I would give the required notice for my position and nothing more.  Their replacement needs are no longer your problem.  If they had treated you better and not given the other person more pay and less responsibility.....I might feel different.  

Take care of your self first.  A 3 -4 month notice is way too much!

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

Not this June, but next June I'll be 65 and hope to retire then once eligible for Medicare.  How much notice do I give my employer?

Currently there are 3 of us in our dept.  One has been doing the same job as me for over 40 years, the other is just beginning to learn.  I would estimate it takes about 1 year to train someone that has no prior experience.  If they hire someone from the outside that has done similar work, I would estimate about 3 months for them to get comfortable with our procedures, etc.  

The employee that has been with the company for 40 years, gets paid approximately $14,000 a year more than me, but has LESS responsibilities than myself.  (She was a supervisor and when they eliminated the position she kept her supervisor salary). 

When I  leave they will still have "her", and the person that this year has just started learning. 

My supervisor is nice, but I'm not a real happy camper that the other employee gets paid more than me, and anything that is more difficult, he assigns to me.  I don't know how to put it, but she was at one time super intelligent, but the last 3 years - definitely not so much! I believe she is on warning due to errors/production issues.

I was thinking of giving 3-4 months notice. What do you think - too much, not enough, etc?

get your medicare ducks in a row, then give 2 weeks notice

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop i THINK WHEN ITS CONVIENENT FOR YOU!

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop  You've received a lot of good advice here. As a Federal retiree, I didn't have to worry about many of the concerns you and others have noted. I think you've got to walk a fine line between taking care of your own best interests and avoiding burning your bridges behind you. If there's any possibility that they'll tell you to leave immediately once you give them notice, I'd recommend giving them the minimum amount of notice that's acceptable in your area (preferably after you've met the Social Security qualification requirements). You might soften that by documenting what you do and how you do it, then handing it to your boss when you leave. In the meantime, check Social Security's processing times for new retirees. Once you leave your company, there may be some lag time between your last paycheck and your first Social Security payment. Forewarned is forearmed and this knowledge will enable you to get your financial house in order beforehand. Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady 

My department had a Supervisor and 5 employees when I was there.  I retired and my position was eliminated.  

Over the last 9 years, 3 more positions have been eliminated, leaving the Supervisor and her secretary.   

With only 2 employees now, they also had to give up that nice big office space and move to a much smaller office.  So glad I am gone from there!