Honored Contributor

Re: Restaurant Reservations

[ Edited ]

never have and never will eat out by reservation. too many good restaurants around where i can walk in and be quickly seated. after my years in the US Army, waiting in a Mess Hall line? no cafeteria style eating out/no waiting in lines, and no reservations. eating out for me is a luxury and i treat it as such.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

The restaurants we go to most don't take reservations, they aren't needed.  One of our favorite restaurants does take reservations and you really should have one before going as they are popular.  That's a special occassion restaurant.  Some restaurants are hard to get into during lunch hour during the week, so again reservations are encouraged though not required. But when you only have so much time for lunch, you don't want to be standing around for 20-30 minutes waiting for a table to open up.

Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

It crossed my mind that I can't remember the last time I made dinner reservations at a restaurant.

Are people still doing this as much these days?

@MarkeieMark

Obviously, it pretty much depends on the type of  restaurant you're going to .... but if you want to have dinner at 8pm on a Saturday night, you should call and ask if you need them.  JMO

Honored Contributor

i prefer to make reservations, if available. i also like using the site OPEN TABLE if the restaurant is on that site. i get points for each reservation i make and can earn dining out checks.

if a restaurant doesnt have reservations then i will use the call ahead seating if that is available.

i like knowing that i will be seated at the time i want to be seated.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Most of the restaurants in my area require reservations but I use Open Table. 

Honored Contributor

The occasional place I dine at pretty much requires reservations because they're very popular. Because I enjoy going to these few, I use Open Table where offered, or call, or use the restaurant's online reservation system.  In general, though, unless a place has an excellent rep and much online chatter about how incredible it is and WHY, I wouldn't bother with either reservations or a 45+ minute wait.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

Most of the restaurants in my area require reservations but I use Open Table. 

It's very convenient to use Open Table; we use that App too here and most restaurants except the chain ones require reservations.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼