Trusted Contributor

It crossed my mind that I can't remember the last time I made dinner reservations at a restaurant.

Are people still doing this as much these days?

Honored Contributor

Yes they do. I've found the more expensive resturants do.  Bone Fish for example.   A few resturants do call ahead.

Generally, resturants that put out coupons don't take resurvations.  Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Outback.

Respected Contributor

Some places ask for your credit card number when you make the reservation. If you don't show up you get charged a fee. this is told to you at the time when you are making the reservation. 

Honored Contributor

We make them once a year at Christmas.  It's only because it's a very busy time when we go and we know this place get so busy with parties, etc.  

As a rule, we don't go any where that expensive and we don't go out to eat that much any more any way. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Phoenix:   Chain restaurants (Outback, Oregano's, etc) are only taking reservations for large groups (party of 8 or more).    "Gourmet" places" -- the $75 per entré kind, prefer reservations.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Frequent Contributor

Depends on the restaurant, not necessarily on the pricepoint of the food.

I like to call ahead when I'm meeting others at a restaurant, or if a long waittime would make me choose a different place.

Respected Contributor

Yes!  Met a friend for lunch yesterday in our small town and could not get seated, they asked if we had resv. So if restaurant is popular, call ahead. We just thought on a Thursday.....

Respected Contributor

Yes!  Anything nicer than, say, Applebee's, I always make a reservation.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

Most restaurants we don't make reservations....but there are two i can think of that are always so popular we HAVE to call a reservation in.  Its a great restaurant and always worth it!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Restaurant Reservations

[ Edited ]

Yes, of course I still make dinner reservations. We do have a restaurant owner who has two very popular dining establishments in our town. He refuses to take reservations. Two nights ago my husband and Intook our grandson to dinner at one of those restaurants. We had to get there early or else we'd be closed out. We arrived before 6 and got one of the last tables left. If we missed out, Imwpuld have left. Nobody should have to wait for endless amounts of time just for arriving at regular dinner tine St a restaurant that refuses to honor reservations.