Honored Contributor

Re: Restaurant Curbside Pick-up

We've only ordered out once since this began. The place delivers within a 10 mile radius. No delivery fee or tip is asked for during these rough times when money may be in short supply for families. I did not tip heavily but wrote a check for $28 our $23 meal.

Honored Contributor

We did DoorDash delivery from Applebee's, it was great.

20 minutes from the time we placed the order to the time it arrived.   We are about 5 miles from the restaurant.

DoorDash charges a fee, but we did tip the driver cash too

On the App, we can follow the driver.   The order was perfect.   I think restaurants have stepped up since their dining rooms are closed.

We do a food delivery about once a week, I get tired of my cooking!

Trusted Contributor

Typcially I don't tip when I do a carry out order but now since the restaurants are closed and relying on carry out orders I'm adding a tip when I place the order so its included on my credit card.  These days I'm avoiding the use of cash (not that I'm going anywhere to use it)

Respected Contributor

Definitely avoid cash. Everyone handles it differently. Some charge a service fee, some add a tip, some charge more per item so it's less visible, and some do a combination of the above.

Just give a heartfelt thanks at the curb if you don't see a tip option.

Trusted Contributor

I tip for curbside delivery ABSOLUTELY.  They are doing a job I will not do and helping me out a lot and a lot of these people are Servers who under normal circumstances would be waiting tables and earning their tips that way.

I am one of those that believes that if you cannot afford to tip, you cannot afford to eat out.  Just me. 

If the restaurants build in a service charge that might be different and I would have no problem paying that either.  I Don't do curbside pickup a lot but once in a great while.  It is a welcome change and I pay accordingly.

Honored Contributor

My daughter is a manager for one of the Darden concepts and she said people are really being generous tipping the to go servers.

They try to get the guest to use their credit card when they call the order in so there is no exchange of cards or cash and have a tip jar at the pick-up counter.

Esteemed Contributor

I am picking up curbside but not a restaurant order.  I put the order on a CC and no tip expected.  The items are left in a bag next to my trunk and I can load them myself.  Sounds easy enough but I haven't picked up my order yet.

Esteemed Contributor

We don't have a lot of restaurants besides fast food but we are now picking up curbside on Fridays, so far three trips to Culvers.  They are very organized ( area set up in parking lot if you are charging and take out window for cash, then pull over until your order is brought out.  We are tipping well (to make up for their lost income and increased risk).

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely tip for curbside pickup, at least 25% or more.  It's my small way to thank the servers for making my life easier and saving me from exposure at the grocery store.  I also enjoy a nice meal.